Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got campy record 10 50/34 rings on record carbon compact cranks. I hate the 16 tooth jump! I would like 48/36, but understand that ramps and profiled teeth need to line up for best shifting. I would really like it if I could get 48/39 rings to shift well.

Does anybody know if their are certain close ratio combinations that work well together with campy rings. I know that shimano has their "A" rings and "B" rings for shifting sets. Does campy do something similar?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
simple...

Campy's spare parts PDF lists the matched chainring sets offered. They offer a 48/34 or 50/36 in addition to the 50/34.

http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c

Personally I'd sell the compact and go back to a regular 53/39 and a cassette starting with a 13T cog. I've repeated my warning about the big jump between the 50 and 34 causing more cog shifting, but few listen. The 50/36 option would at least eliminate the extra cog-shifting, but it won't be cheap to buy a pair of rings. You can buy the 48T ring separately, to go with your 34. The part numer is FC-RE048.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
question

MerlinMan said:
I've got campy record 10 50/34 rings on record carbon compact cranks. I hate the 16 tooth jump! I would like 48/36, but understand that ramps and profiled teeth need to line up for best shifting. I would really like it if I could get 48/39 rings to shift well.

Does anybody know if their are certain close ratio combinations that work well together with campy rings. I know that shimano has their "A" rings and "B" rings for shifting sets. Does campy do something similar?
MerlinMan, can you elaborate on your issue with the 50/34? Is the shifting poor/slow or is the problem the extra shifting? I am curious because I am building up a new bike and keep going back and forth between standard vs Compact. Thanks

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
My 52/39 has a 13 tooth jump. Whenever I shift between chainrings I simultaneously shift a couple cogs in back to have a seemless "one-step" change. I do it for upward and downward chainring shifts. I'd think that you could do the same with your 50/34, but with maybe a 3 cog shift. That's actually one of the reasons that I like C over S - being able to make multi-cog shifts in both directions with one swing of the right shift lever.

Or am I misunderstanding why you dislike the 50/34?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shifting is fine. The problem with the 16 tooth gap is that the large ring is so much larger in diameter that it does not allow the chain to ride on the 34 ring and the 13 cog(12-25 cassette) without rubbing the 50 tooth big ring.

More cog shifting is required with each front ring shift, which I am getting used too, but still do not enjoy that. In Michigan, we don't have big hills. This reduces the need for easy climbing gears and tall downhill gears. The last setup I enjoyed was a 52/42 with a 13-26cassette.

My personal preference is to get rid of the gears that I find to easy, and the tall gear combos I never use, like a 53/11.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I had a few issues with dropping the chain on my compact until I swapped the 34 for a 36. I run a 11-23 in the back most of the time and find that a 36X21,23 will handle anything around here. A 36-23 is a lower gear than a 39-25. I use an FSA crankset with campy record derailleurs. The FD is standard.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Campy 36 tooth ring will cost you a fortune...

like most Campy spare parts. But the 50/36 is a great combination. (Sorry, C40...I LIKE the compact setup). I like the 50 tooth for the very reason that it is very useful even with the roll and climbing in north Georgia. In my years with a 53 I rarely used it. I use the 50 all the time.

I had no shifting issues with the 50/34, it was just that the 34 felt WAY too small even on the longest climbs. I went the the 36 and it is much better. Still only good for climbing, but in combination with the 50 is a very useful setup.

I went the FSA route instead of Campy (gasp), and I know the FSA 36 tooth rings are readily available at AE Bike, Airbomb, etc. In typical Campy style ONLY Campy rings will work on Campy CT cranksets as they are not 110 bcd. They have a different drilling.

Branford Bike might have the rings, else you will need to check Total Cycling, probikekit, etc. Be prepared to spend a lot.

·
Registered
529 Posts
TA Chainrings

TA makes two set of rings for Campy cranks. The Horus is a matched set with ramps and pins and comes in a 50/39 combo. The second choice are the Vento rings which are pinned only and come in a wide range of teeth and colors options.

I am currently running 49 teeth Vento rings on both my road bikes and find that it shifts very well.

I've also found that by switching to a 49 it really helps these old legs a lot. I now use the "big" ring and it is no longer for looks (like my 53 was).

I bought my chainrings from xxcycle.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts