Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started tuning up my climbing bike and noticed it needed a new cassette. (record 13-29). The LBS only has 2009 11-speed. So has campy abandon building 10-speed parts? A quick search of all the known parts places and nothing. Looks like another science project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
You can still certainly get 10-speed cassettes. i.e., Excel Sports carries them for sure. I just typed "campagnolo 13-29 cassette" into Google and got a bunch of hits for on-line stores that are selling it.
 

·
road bike resurrector
Joined
·
302 Posts
Our LBS is still carrying 10-speed Campy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
info...

www.campagnolo.com has the answers.

At this point there should be plenty of Record/Chorus 10 speed cassettes left, but the price might go up in the future as they become repair parts rather than current production.

I can't imagine what kind of ridiculous price your LBS is asking for a Record cassette.

The Ti cogs on a Record cassette will last about half as long as steel. Buy a Centaur/Veloce cassette from the UK and save big bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Campy 10 speed has been around for quite a while. I can't imagine not being able to find 10 speed cassettes for many years. I use a Ultegra cassette with a J-Tek adapter on my Campy Chorus Independant Fabrication. It works flawlessly, you can always go that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
they are still making 10s gruppos in 2009 (centaur). i can't see 10s disappearing any time soon.

i'm still running 8 and 9 and i have no difficulty sourcing spares on ebay. but i do admit, i have started hoarding.
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
lbs might not have it (in stock), but they can prob get it (if they use quality)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Try Branford Bike. I bought a Veloce ten speed cassette from them. Man-I just checked and their price is now $108.00. Up over $20.00 from Oct of last year.Probikekit.com has Veloce tens for $38.00. Grab them while they are hot....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
doubt it

bigwaves said:
I just started tuning up my climbing bike and noticed it needed a new cassette. (record 13-29). The LBS only has 2009 11-speed. So has campy abandon building 10-speed parts? A quick search of all the known parts places and nothing. Looks like another science project.
I just bought a couple of 10s Veloce cassettes from PBK for under $40 each. In fact I have bought a 9s Campy cassetes recently. I think they'll be around for some time. My advice is to stock up when you see a great price. Otherwise you will be paying top dolar when you need it ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
DaveG said:
I just bought a couple of 10s Veloce cassettes from PBK for under $40 each. In fact I have bought a 9s Campy cassetes recently. I think they'll be around for some time. My advice is to stock up when you see a great price. Otherwise you will be paying top dolar when you need it ASAP.
Out of stock now . . .
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
DaveG said:
I just bought a couple of 10s Veloce cassettes from PBK for under $40 each. In fact I have bought a 9s Campy cassetes recently. I think they'll be around for some time. My advice is to stock up when you see a great price. Otherwise you will be paying top dolar when you need it ASAP.
Veloce will work on a 10 speed Record hub, right? Any issues with it eating up my hub?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just found two at a normal price. Plus a chorus on the spare parts shelf. I only have one or two spokets that are really bad. So, i could rebuild the group and get an additional year out of the exsistng cassette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,636 Posts
Veloce' on Record

Bocephus Jones II said:
Veloce will work on a 10 speed Record hub, right? Any issues with it eating up my hub?
Veloce' works just fine on any other Campy hub. All the cassettes are interchangeable with no problems. Properly torquing the cassette lockring prevents any damage to the aluminum cassette hub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
What is the answer?

C-40 said:
www.campagnolo.com has the answers.

At this point there should be plenty of Record/Chorus 10 speed cassettes left, but the price might go up in the future as they become repair parts rather than current production.

I can't imagine what kind of ridiculous price your LBS is asking for a Record cassette.

The Ti cogs on a Record cassette will last about half as long as steel. Buy a Centaur/Veloce cassette from the UK and save big bucks.
C-40: I checked the Campy website and could not find an answer to the OP question: Is Campy still manufacturing the Chorus 10-spd cassette (MK)? That there may be a supply of these still in the supply chain (but vanishing?), and Centaur and Veloce cassettes still offered, does not answer the question.

At the risk of double-posting, here's my issue as stated in another thread: "So has Campy stopped manufacturing the Chorus 10-spd cassette? I realize they still make Centaur and Veloce 10-spd cassettes (and they have now moved Centaur to all individual cogs--something my Easton wheel manufacturer says not to use on its freehubs), but there is obviously still a large installed base (read market) out there for the 10 speed cassettes.

But I'm afraid its true, since I have been having a hard time finding the Chorus 10-spd online at some of the lower-price outlets. (Lickbike still seems to have 'em, though.) But this could be retailers trying to reduce their product lines (to make room for the new gruppos) or customers panic-buying what's in stock for fear that Campy will stop making 'em.

If Campy truly has stopped making these, then its a black mark for them. Planned obsolescence: forcing (not quite, let's say "pushing") the customer to make a major investment in the new 11-spd gruppos (or else suffer the shame of having to make do with lower-tech, heavier cassettes). So much for the vaunted durability/re-buildability/long-term viability of the Campy drivetrains!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
call...

My guess is that the higher level 10 speed cassettes are no longer being made, but I'd ask the folks at Campy USA.

I looked at the 2009 spare parts pricing list and there are no complete cassettes on the list. There are items like older shifters and RDs.

If you really want to keep using high level Campy 10 in the future, you better stock up on parts. I'm using up my last decent 10 speed cassette on my winter/trainer bike and moving on to 11.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Meh . . .

C-40 said:
My guess is that the higher level 10 speed cassettes are no longer being made, but I'd ask the folks at Campy USA.

I looked at the 2009 spare parts pricing list and there are no complete cassettes on the list. There are items like older shifters and RDs.

If you really want to keep using high level Campy 10 in the future, you better stock up on parts. I'm using up my last decent 10 speed cassette on my winter/trainer bike and moving on to 11.
Thanks. I'll send 'em an e.mail (if I can figure out how to) and post back here.

Like I said, I think its bogus for them to stop making Chorus 10-speed cassettes. What about people who dug deep to upgrade to Record or Chorus 10-spd groupos last year (not cheap). While they'll still be able to (presumably) get Centaur cassettes for the forseeable future, the Chorus cassette has all of the durability, less weight, and the two-paired joined bigger cogs (to minimize damage to lightweight titanium or aluminum freehub bodies in those high-torque gears). Campy recognizes the superiority of this design my extending it even further on the 11-speed Chorus cassette (with three linked cogs).

That Campy apparently changed the design of the Centaur cassette recently (to downgrade it from linked cogs or two lowest gears to all individual cogs a-la-Veloce) just makes it worse.

Its possible that Campy needs the production line that (was?) used for Chorus & Record 10 spd cassettes to produce the similar designed (albeit different tooling, etc.) 11-speed versions, and that it can't efficiently switch the tooling back and forth between the two. If that is the case then (i) it reflects poor production design (comparable to those domestic (USA) auto manufacturers who cannot change plants quickly to meet demand for different models, as compared with Honda USA that can--as complex as a cassette is, it is nowhere near as complex as a car); and (ii) even so, Campy could have run a large production of the 10-speed cassettes to meet a couple of years' supply need at least before changing the lines over. That European and US suppliers are running out of the Chorus cassettes already (e.g., Nashbar has Chorus 10-speed cassettes last week, but not the popular 12-25 model) suggests that Campy did not do that.

The situation with chains (even more of a wear part) is less severe, since the differences in the Veloce/Centaur/Chorus/ Record UN 10 speed chains is so minimal, and there are other readily available suppliers as well. Nobody else makes a Chorus-equivalent 10-speed cassette (that I know of, at least).

I think this is a poor way to treat dedicated Campy customers. End of rant.

How long should I expect to get out of a Chorus 10-speed cassette, rotating two or three chains, by the way?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top