Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a question regarding the spacing on Campy's 10 speed crank. I currently own Campy's 9 speed Chorus driveline (ie. chain, front/rear derailleur, and cassettes) and was wondering whether or not the newer 10 speed cranks could be used with the current 9-speed chain. Are there any compatibility problems? I have used the Campy's tech site and they recommend against it but I was wondering whether or not it would work "nicely" in the real world.

The reason I ask is because I would eventually like to convert to Campy's 10 speed format but would like to replace parts as they wear/get damaged.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
no probs

I have been using a Record Triple 10 chainset with my otherwise 9 speed set up since May 2003 with no running problems whatsoever. The only difference between the 9 and 10 cranks id the gap of 0.4mm....achieved by making the outer ring's mounting tabs thinner. The thickness of the rings themselves are exactly the same as 9 speed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Rob,
Thank you for your experience. Looks like I am ready to order a new Chorus 2004/Record 2003 crank 10 speed. My current one was damaged and needed replacing so I am glad to hear that I do not need to replace the entire driveline...funds are a little short right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts