Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost have enough spare parts to convert one of my old Reynolds steel frame bikes to a Campy drive train, but the problem seems to arise with the front dérailleur. Is there anything available in a Campy 10 speed FD that will fit a 28.6mm seat tube? It looks like I could find a braze on somewhere and then get the Shimano adapter but I need to know if this will work.

Thanks

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
2003 Record in 28.6

Total Cycling still seems to have some stock of 2003 Record front derailleurs. They made them in 28.6mm clamp, the cage was all steel instead of the carbon/aluminum mix of today. I bought a 28.6 from them about 3 years ago and I have used it with 2005 Record Ergopower but it will work fine with any 10spd Ergopower shifter including the 2007 and 2008 Quick Shift Ergopower.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.p...es/derailleur_front_road/FDC_RECORD_2003.html

Failing that, Problem Solvers makes a 28.6 braze-on adapter that is better than having Shimano on the bike!

http://www.westernbikeworks.com/productdetail.asp?p=PRDER

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I think I will go with the Problem Solver's part. I already know my bikes will reject Shimano. I was having a terrible time getting the Campy FD to shift and I located a mangled cable guide under the BB.... marked "Shimano"

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
Nashbar had a 28.6 clamp that was a little chunky, but actually had a curved tab with a long slot, just like a braze-on. I think Miche made a very similar clamp - even better since it's Italian!

As far as BB cable guides, Campy actually makes 2 - one in nylon like the purple shimano ones, and a stainless steel one. Both are black in color. Tried to fit a steel one to my Waterford and the radius of the curve of the guide was markedly smaller than the steel BB shell (English) of the bike, so until I have the time to bend the cable guide, I'm sticking with the non-shimano nylon one that's in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.