1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've used 5mm and 4mm housing. You should have no problem with any housing. The cable aren't a problem, however, the cable stops are a bit smaller on Campy than others; including the brakes and shifter. you can get specific campy cables or just dremel them down a bit.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
unless you're really good w/ a grinder or dremel...you really should get campy cables. the heads are smaller and if you're learning how to replace your own cables/housing the last thing you want to do is try to remove a stuck shimano cable in a few months. if you're going to do a job, do it correctly. just buy the campy cable/housing kit and have all the right stuff. you can sub other housing, but i'd never use anything other than campy cables (both brake and shift). it just makes things easier down the road.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
cxwrench said:
unless you're really good w/ a grinder or dremel...you really should get campy cables. the heads are smaller and if you're learning how to replace your own cables/housing the last thing you want to do is try to remove a stuck shimano cable in a few months. if you're going to do a job, do it correctly. just buy the campy cable/housing kit and have all the right stuff. you can sub other housing, but i'd never use anything other than campy cables (both brake and shift). it just makes things easier down the road.
Agreed. We occasionally see a Campy shifter/brake lever in which someone installed "generic" cables. They pay us good money to get them out.

You can use non-Campy housing but for some reason, my two Campy equipped bikes with Campy cables and housing just work more smoothly than my Campy bike with Shimano (I wanted silver) housing.:(

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I'll probably just buy everything seperately then instead of a kit. Not quite ready to give up on the idea of yellow housing yet. What diameter am I looking for in brake and der. housing for 10sp campag?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Frith said:
OK I'll probably just buy everything seperately then instead of a kit. Not quite ready to give up on the idea of yellow housing yet. What diameter am I looking for in brake and der. housing for 10sp campag?
The Jagwire Hyper kits have cables with Campy compatible ends. You were probably looking at the Racer kit. Hyper housing doesn't come in yellow so get the Racer kit and any Campy compatible stainless cables you want. Jagwire cables are only $3-4.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What year is your Centaur?

The Ultrashift mechanisms are sensitive to friction and work best with Campagnolo's cables and housing. I have two bikes with older campy (98 and 05) and use the Jagwire cable and housing. It works fine. I can also get it in something other than black.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've got Record with Jagwire Racer cables and housing on it... works just fine for me.

If you do go with Jagwire, though, make sure you've got sandpaper and a few minutes to reduce the size of the 'barrel' that inserts into the shifter holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts