Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built up a Specialized Roubaix with Centaur and a 50/34 compact crank to train for and ride the Death Ride (130 miles w/ 16,000 feet of climbing) and have been using a 12-25 cassette. Having the smaller gears has been great for spinning during endurance climbing rides but the 50-12 has been killing me on the fast group rides with rolling terrain. I've seen the Token 11-27's on eBay and can live with the 27 but they are lightweight and spec'ed to only last 1000 or so miles. Anyone know where I can find an 11-25 or 11-27 that will last?

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Hybrid

Metz said:
I recently built up a Specialized Roubaix with Centaur and a 50/34 compact crank to train for and ride the Death Ride (130 miles w/ 16,000 feet of climbing) and have been using a 12-25 cassette. Having the smaller gears has been great for spinning during endurance climbing rides but the 50-12 has been killing me on the fast group rides with rolling terrain. I've seen the Token 11-27's on eBay and can live with the 27 but they are lightweight and spec'ed to only last 1000 or so miles. Anyone know where I can find an 11-25 or 11-27 that will last?
The best plan would be to buy a 12-25 Centaur or Veloce cassette, and then ditch the 16T cog for the 11T cog. Centaur or Veloce because the 16 is a loose cog, on Chorus or Record it is paired with the 17. By my best guess, you would actually need the 11T and the 12T plus the 11-specific lockring (from either 11-23 or 11-21 cassette). The 12T from a 12-25 won't work as well because the outer side is machined to accept the locrking. For Centaur your cassette would then be 25-23 (paired), 21, 19, 17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11.

Excel sports sells the 11T sprocket for something like $50! If you are really committed to this venture, I can provide the lockring plus 11 and 12 tooth cogs from a used 11-23 (there is very little wear on the 11 and 12 as the cassette was on a training wheel that saw lots of use on the 14-21 sprockets). All you need to do is pay me the shipping cost. You would then need the Centaur or Veloce cassette. PM me if you are interested.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Mix and Match

Eric_H said:
The best plan would be to buy a 12-25 Centaur or Veloce cassette, and then ditch the 16T cog for the 11T cog.
Close, but he already has a 12-25 cassette. He needs to buy an 11-23 cassette. Buy an 11-23 Centaur cassette. Then you will get an 11t cog along with a lockring to fit the 11t. You will also get a second position 12t cog. Buying a whole cassette at this level will probably be cheaper than going out to buy one or two cogs and a lockring. Now you can ditch a cog out of your current setup and use the 11, 12, 13... from the new 11-23 cassette. You might find that you want to keep the 16t cog if you use it a lot and skip the 12t cog using just the 11t for those really fast rides. Think about what you use most.

Another option rather than customizing a cassette would be to use the 11-23 for those fast group rides with rolling terrain. When you are going out for an endurance climbing ride put the 12-25 cassette on. Rather than having one all purpose cassette have two cassettes and use the one that fits the ride for the day. I can change a cassette faster than most people can change a tube. I would hate giving up a 16t cog I use a lot for those occassional moments when I might need something on one of the extreme ends of the cassette.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.