Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my second post on this forum, have up to now been a Shimano user, recently purchase a new frame Specialized Tarmac SL2 and put my old ultegra on it, with a plan to upgrade the groupset when funds permitted. I was looking at the DA7900, but i'm not sold on its looks, availability is poor and prices have recently rocketed. This put me on the trackof Campagnolo, especially the SR 11.
I have tried a bike fitted with record 10, which I was impressed with and had no problems with the shift (especially liking the front trimming facility), unfortunately they had no 11 speeds in to try, i have seen in various posts how the ergonomics have been improved with the 11 with everyone praising the feel, so this can only be for the good, those that have tried both how does the shifting action compare, i understand the 11 has shorter throws? Is it as positive in the change up and down? Is the 11 more demanding in terms of set up and maintenance? do the gears require constant adjustment? or are they fit and forget? Does all campy stuff come with the 4 year warranty and how good is the warranty when you run into problems?
I apologise in advance but like I say I am new to the world of Campagnolo so your responses would be gratefully received. Prior to putting down the cash.
Finally, I have notice that in some posts many are recommending the Chorus cassette in preference to the SR on grounds of cost and longevity, is there any noticeable difference in shifting performance with either, I assume the shape is identical, just different material?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info..

You would beenfit from reading some of the posts down the page. All of your questions have been asked and answered.

Briefly, SR has better BB bearings; all the other differences are just trivial weight reductions that amount to little.

The shifting is the same for all three 11 speed groups. The big difference in the shifting is much lighter clicks and lower operating force from the right finger lever. The new shifters are not expected to need regular maintenance like the older models.

Setup is no different and the shifting requires no more frequent adjustment.

You will need the new chain tool unless you want to risk joining the chain with a masterlink that's too wide, with too much side clearance. See other discussions below. I have one chain joined in this manner, just as a test subject. No problems so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have now ordered a SR Groupset from my LBS (made the switch from Shimano 'gulp!'.
However, I am truly excited and cannot wait. LBS will also be tasked wih fitting the group. Interesting about the masterlink, I'm sure I have seen somewhere on a Taipei show report that someone was producing one specifically for 11 speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Groupset has arrived, just short of the rear freehub for my Mavics, but my bike is in having its surgery as we speak. The new 11 speed groupsets look much better in the flesh than in any photo's, and it also felt so light.
Having come away from the bikeshop a thought crossed my mind, as I usually transportthe bike front wheel off, I do not remember seeing a brake release lever as per Shimano on the brake, how do Campy brakes release to remove the wheels? (I apologise for such a dumb question, but only just occurred to me)

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info..

The pin above the brake lever pivot, that acts as the brake lever stop, is pushed to the side, in order to release the brakes. There is no release mechanism at the brake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C-40, Thanks for the heads up, once I knew where to look I have found it in the Shifter intructions on-line, cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts