Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Campy 11 speed groups (1 Record and 1 Chorus) and am a bit confounded. What is the scoop on the brakes? They come with 13 mm and 9.5 mm long torx-head bolts pre-installed on the front and rear brake's center bolts, respectively. It also has a 21.5 mm and 27.5 mm long allen-headed threaded bolts in baggies. Their manual says that there are different thread lengths of the threaded sleeve to account for the varying thickness of frames/forks. It say they have a 13.5, 18.5 and 24 mm threaded sleeves but my measurements show none of those. What gives??? First off, why the need for 2 different head bits for the center bolts and why do they don't match their advertised lengths?? Thanks,

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
thoughts...

Seems like a lot of concern over trivia. Use whatever length you need to fit your frame. I got some early model '09 brakes and they didn't have any extra long nuts. Of course I didn't read the instructions either. I've installed Campy brakes so many times I don't need instructions.

If special length nuts are needed, they are usually sent with the fork and frame. Campy's giving away a lot of free nuts, it seems.

The nuts with the torx heads are probably aluminum nuts and the ones with hex heads are probably steel. Campy is using more aluminum nuts and those will have torx heads to reduce the chance of stripping out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Campy instructions???

I give campy instructions/packaging about a C- on any given product over the past 25 years.
Their products get an A+.
Also, I hate the torx on the brake fixing bolts, especially the rear. I find that some high quality torx wrenches will not allow sufficient clearance against the seat post.
You can get several aftermarket titanium or aluminum hex bolts in virtually any length you need.
As C-40 indicated, most quality frame/forks are supplied with the proper length bolts.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks C-40 and mriddle

C-40 said:
If special length nuts are needed, they are usually sent with the fork and frame. Campy's giving away a lot of free nuts, it seems.

The nuts with the torx heads are probably aluminum nuts and the ones with hex heads are probably steel. Campy is using more aluminum nuts and those will have torx heads to reduce the chance of stripping out.
Has stripping the hex heads ever been a problem? I wouldn't have thought so because of the low torque required (10N-M per the Campy instructions.)

I will be using the nut provided with the fork for the front brake but it looks like I will need to use one of the shorter, torx head nuts that came pre-installed on the brakes.

Another question guys: there were 2 locking washers on the front brake and 1 on the rear. Is it just a spare? Would there ever be a need to use more than one washer? I know some of these questions are trivial and basic, but I'm working on my very first build, and it is for my wife's Ti frame and I don't want to screw it up! :) Thanks again C-40 and mriddle.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
more...

Whether thre have been problems stripping hex sockets I have no clue, but Campy is using torx for all aluminum fasteners.

The extra washer might be needed with some forks if the brake pads touch the fork.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
If it were up to me ;) , I'd use torx- or torx-plus heads everywhere on a bike ... it's a superior fastener which rarely "strips out" or rounds-off the inside of the socket head.

On the Record brakes I just installed, the included Alum torx nut was correct length for the rear, but I needed to use the optional, longer, steel hex-socket nut in front.

Having different nuts front & rear bothered me -- I or a mechanic might not notice and booger-up a nut with the wrong tool -- and I opted for consistency over principle: hex-socket retaining nuts, front & rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts