Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that this thread does not turn into a flame fest but the new cross bike that I am looking at buying comes with Campy 11spd Athena. Is there any disadvantage by going with this gruppo ? I know most of the bikes you see on the internet and that the pros use use either Shimano or SRAM but is it just a sponsorship issue ?

I use Campy for the road and have no issues with it. I can use all my existing wheelsets as spare cross wheelsets for the fall so that is a major plus for me.

Also, and don't flame me, cost is not a major concern at this point because SRAM RED or Ultegra are more expensive than this rig. I just want to make sure there is nothing intrinsically wrong with using 11-spd.

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it works for you, go for it. Doesn't impact any of us. Run whatcha brung and suffer with the masses. Sounds like it'd be convenient for you to use Campy 11 so why not?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marinoni Fango Ultra

Its a Marinoni Fango Ultra. I guess it could come with almost anything but thats the one the store has available for immediate purchase. I guess I could wait 3-4 weeks and get anything but that timeframe would cause me to miss 2 races since I just sold my existing cross bike.

·
Menace to Society
627 Posts
Have at it
Shouldn't be any problem at all

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I am collecting parts to convert my bikes to Campy 11.
Will run Shimano again this year as I won't have all the parts for both bikes.
Rather have two matching drive trains.
Cannot see 11sp an issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Best reason I have heard for not doing it is neutral wheel support. You will be lucky enough if anyone else is even running Campy and even more lucky if it was 11s.

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeti_cx said:
Best reason I have heard for not doing it is neutral wheel support. You will be lucky enough if anyone else is even running Campy and even more lucky if it was 11s.
that is the exact reason i run Campy 10 speed Shifters and Sram drive train, more access to more rear wheels

G

·
I'm still running campy 10 on the cx bike, but wouldn't hesitate to run 11 due to neutral wheel support. Its functional enough with a 10 speed wheel.

And as far as cx goes, I've never had neutral support at a cx race.

·
Registered
809 Posts
question for the guys are worried about neutral wheel support? Do you not bring your own set of wheels or extra bike for the pit? I've taken 2 neutral wheels in 10 years of cx racing. both times it was because I simply didn't put wheels in the pit. one of them was a front wheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ran Record 10 for a few yrs and never had any issues. Swapped to Sram last yr and still run my Campy wheels. Campy drivetrain cost $$!

·
Registered
41 Posts
In most cases you can buy brand new Record 11s cheaper than Record 10s. When I bought my Record 10 rear derailleur I could have bought a brand new SUPER Record 11 derailleur for the same price. Sellers are not idiots, they know there's still a huge market for 10 speed. I've heard of more than one person hoarding 10s Record and Chorus cassettes. I wish Campy would rethink what they've done a make Record 10 as well again.They're still producing a few things like levers and rear derailleurs but they're not going to keep supporting an obsolete group forever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts