Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
No! you can only make old tech lighter and fancier till you have to introduce something new to the market to make more money. Does 1 extra ring with 1-2 extra teeth in your range make much of a difference? NO! it's so marginal that it's really not necessary. I am on 9 speed as well and definitely have no plans of moving to 10 for that same reason.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I kind of liked Campy's response to "why?" They basically said "why not?"; they were planning an overhaul of the gruppo, particularly the Ergopower lever shape--which I'm happy about, much as I love my Ergopowers I think the new levers look more comfy, plus I think Shimano and SRAM have upped the ante on ergonomics and Campy needed to update too. The Ergopowers were the best thing going when they debuted, but it's been a while and much has changed since then.

Anyway, Campy basically said that as long as they were completely redesigning the gruppo, they thought they'd add a cog; the main point was the redisign, the cog is just a "bonus". To their credit, I think that historically Campy has been among the best in the business at making occasional, well-thought-out changes that work the first time, rather than just throwing out something new every year for the sake of it. Cyclingnews has an article on the new 11speed today, and indications are that performance is very solid.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
superflychief said:
No! you can only make old tech lighter and fancier till you have to introduce something new to the market to make more money. Does 1 extra ring with 1-2 extra teeth in your range make much of a difference? NO! it's so marginal that it's really not necessary. I am on 9 speed as well and definitely have no plans of moving to 10 for that same reason.
I agree- but can't help to think that is argument sounds so short sighted. What if they said the same thing at three speed cassettes? Innovation is good, and it will be done in small incremental steps. You don't have to keep up personally (wait for several generations when there is a substantial change to what you have), but as an industry goes, I am glad they are adding a cog.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you can ride a 12-23 cassette, there is no need. If you need a 12-25, the 16 is missing. If you race, that leaves a big hole between the 15 and 17. If you don't race, you can learn to live without the 16.
If you need the 25, and also need the 16, one option is to get a 13-25 cassette, and learn to spin the 13. The 13 should be good up to 37/38 mph.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm sure there will be riders who will be thrilled with the new 11-spd but I hope the component companies won't forget those of us who still find 8 and 9 speeds plenty. It's already pretty hard to find Shimano 9 spd STI brifters. I'm still using 8 speed bar ends myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.