Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's Good For You!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first road bike since selling my Paramount in 1989. Ya, I know...very long hietus. Too long. It's a Tommasini Diamante and has full Campy Record 8s. Anyway, would I be able to upgrade to 9s easily and if so what would I need? I live in the mtns (mostly mtn bike ride) and at the very least would like to find a rear cluster that is more mtn friendly than a 12/23.
Thanks for the help!

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
I did this conversion a while back. If I remember correctly, you will need to either convert the Ergo lever to a 9 speed set up (look at www.campyonly.com for info on this) or replace the lever altogether. Additionally, you will need to replace the rear hub, as the spline pattern for the cassette is different. I think that I also had to replace the rear derailleur, but I can't swear that I did that out of necessity or simply wanting a new derailleur. Finally, you will need a new chain, as the 9 speed chain is more narrow.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Conversion parts

foggypeake said:
I did this conversion a while back. If I remember correctly, you will need to either convert the Ergo lever to a 9 speed set up (look at www.campyonly.com for info on this) or replace the lever altogether. Additionally, you will need to replace the rear hub, as the spline pattern for the cassette is different. I think that I also had to replace the rear derailleur, but I can't swear that I did that out of necessity or simply wanting a new derailleur. Finally, you will need a new chain, as the 9 speed chain is more narrow.
Yup, you need to convert (or replace) the shifter, and replace the cassette and chain. However, you don't necessarily have to replace the entire rear hub (which involves rebuilding the wheel) - you can just replace the freehub body (the splined part of the hub that the cassettes mounts on). In addition, an 8spd rear derailleur works just fine for 9spd. The 8spd cranks, chainrings, front derailleur and front shifter all will work just dandy for 9spd.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yes and no

Al1943 said:
I thought the pull ratio on the rear derailleur was changed.
There have been two generations of rear derailleurs for 9spd. The original generation ('97 - '00) has the same ratio of cable pull/derailleur movement as 8spd. Starting in '01, 9spd derailleurs were changed to match the new cable pull/derailleur movement of 10spd derailleurs (in reality, '01 and later 9spd derailleurs are really 10spd derailleurs that have the label "9spd" printed on them).

The indexing disks for converting 8spd shifters to 9spd were only made with the original cable travel ratio. So if this 8spd -> 9spd conversion is done by converting the shifters with a new indexing disk, then the original 8spd derailleur will work perfectly.

Also, many have reported the change in cable travel between two generations of 9spd is very small, so shifter and derailleurs of different generations can give adequate performance.

(Just for completeness - 9spd indexing disks for both generations of derailleur are available to fit modern 9spd and 10spd shifters, so it is still possible to retrofit a modern shifter for complete compatibility for 9spd systems with an original 8spd derailleur. The Campy website has details on which index disks work with which shifters and derailleurs for 8spd, 9spd and 10spd.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.