Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I will be getting my new Trek 5000 frame back today with the headset pressed in, spacers and a seat post clamp. I have the stem (profile 70mm,) Bars, (ITM 42cm) and seat post in black or silver. (bars and stem are black)

Due to financial constraints I need to do a temporary build until I know for SURE that I like the frame and fit.

I have a set of Mirage 9 speed shifters, mirage rear derailleur, brake calipers and a crankset (old. 53/39 172.5mm) The Chainrings are not pinned or ramped but it is really a non issue because I do NOT have a front derailleur in a braze on or adapter. I intend to just run a single fron ring at a time (I can shift by hand if I need to) Keeping in mind that this is JUST a TEMP, see if it fits build. Can I just get a standard 111 mm sealed bearing bottom bracket and bolts to use this crank? OR do I need a 115mm? There is no name or level on the crankset.

I am going to have to share wheels with my Bianchi for a while (all veloce 9 speed) What other issues am I not considering?

Thanks

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Alright, I will be getting my new Trek 5000 frame back today with the headset pressed in, spacers and a seat post clamp. I have the stem (profile 70mm,) Bars, (ITM 42cm) and seat post in black or silver. (bars and stem are black)

Due to financial constraints I need to do a temporary build until I know for SURE that I like the frame and fit.

I have a set of Mirage 9 speed shifters, mirage rear derailleur, brake calipers and a crankset (old. 53/39 172.5mm) The Chainrings are not pinned or ramped but it is really a non issue because I do NOT have a front derailleur in a braze on or adapter. I intend to just run a single fron ring at a time (I can shift by hand if I need to) Keeping in mind that this is JUST a TEMP, see if it fits build. Can I just get a standard 111 mm sealed bearing bottom bracket and bolts to use this crank? OR do I need a 115mm? There is no name or level on the crankset.

I am going to have to share wheels with my Bianchi for a while (all veloce 9 speed) What other issues am I not considering?

Thanks
I think that's a 111 crank, but I could be wrong. I can't think of anything Campy in recent years that has required a 115 mm BB (but I haven't wrenched in a while, and could be wrong...). I think, that is, that it uses what until very recently was a standard Campy triple BB, or double for Centaur and below. Since you're running a single ring, there's a chance you could get away with running the ring outboard and using a 102 BB (or standard double for Chorus and above, until UT).

That said, I could be wrong about all those things. I take it you don't have a 102 mm BB to try? The risk would be that the spider or arms wouldn't clear the chainstays. I guess this reply wasn't very helpful... Oh, wait: are you planning on running a 1 x 9, or 2 x 9 with no FD? I'd just spring for a FD, if I were you - you should be able to get almost anything that would do the trick for fairly cheap on eBay.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
was just going to run a 2 x 9 with no front derrailleur for the test period. If I like the frame I will do a complete veloce 10 speed build on it, but I need to get a bottom bracket on it to test ride it. That is why I want to spend as little as possible until I know.

actually I have two other cranksets I could use, to pull one ring I could steal the short ring bolts off of one of my fixed (I guess I could just steal the whole crankset, it's be easier. for that matter I actually have a bottom bracket that I may be able to get by with (not for Campy though campy has a different taper doesn't it?)

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=166410

edit: the bb I have here is 112 mm and the taper fits 3 cranksets I have but not the Campy....so much for testing it with the campy....oh well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I've got a Record BB that will fit those cranks, but it's Italian threaded. If you want it, let me know & I'll send it to you.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great.....you got an Italian frame for it too?.... I'm pretty sure a 2007 Trek is english threaded.

Got it back, Chris King, red headset, carbon spacers and a seat post clamp. I'll post pics tomorrow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts