Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to do anything to the bearings in a record bb? i have one that feels a little gritty and it would be nice to smooth it out...

thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Camp BB

I posted the exact same question a couple weeks ago on the old components forum. Got a couple responses and did some add'l research. I ended up just cleaning the grit from around the bearings best I could and reinstalling. I got quotes for all replacement bearings and it added up to $40 plus shipping. And, I'd have to buy a puller and press. A lot more than the cost of the entire new unit.

Here's the best post I got on the subject:
"Your LBS is 100% right. The single non drive side bearing has a reusable circlip, so that means you can remove that bearing and replace it. The driveside retainer ring is not reusable, to get the driveside bearings off you will have to destroy the retainer ring, and then you would have to find some type of substitute retainer clip to hold the new bearings on.The center part of the BB spindle is oversize so you cant remove the bearings on the opposite side of the clip. I have read on another forum where they were successful in rebuilding a Record BB, but doubt that it performed correctly. I work for a distributor that sells Campagnolo and am very familiar with the product. You can see this permanent retainer ring by removing the drive side cup, It might be hidden by the aluminum/rubber retainer ring. Its too bad that Campy didnt make it rebuildable."

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
maybe..

From the Campy Only website:

The Campy design allows the user to replace the bearings where Shimano makes the entire bottom bracket as sealed unit which must be replaced in its entirety--the old one is then thrown way. The really neat thing about the Campy design is that you can get the bearings from almost any local bearing distributor and you can change the characteristics of the bottom bracket. It is possible to substitute faster low drag bearings or full contact metal sealed (high drag) bearings if you ride in the wet a lot. I have a friend who lives on board a sail boat who ruins bearings like crazy on his bike that he keeps on the ship. The answer was a set of stainless steel-cased full-contact sealed bearings. There is nothing special about the Campy bearings to force you to use their bearings.

I've also read of folks replacing the bearings on other forums. The required bearings are two 6803 and one 6903. They are available at www.mcmaster.com for $5-10 each.

If you're sure that the BB is toast, you have nothing to lose by taking it apart. If you can get it apart without destroying anything, then reassembly should not be a problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! i am an engineer, so we order from mcmaster-carr around here all the time. maybe i'll give it a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts