Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running the same pads for about 7 years now (y2k chorus dual pivots) and they are getting close to that "limit" line. Can I keep running them until they are past the line or am I pushing my luck?

also...should I replace with campy or is there a better pad out there?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
KoolStop

Bocephus Jones II said:
I've been running the same pads for about 7 years now (y2k chorus dual pivots) and they are getting close to that "limit" line. Can I keep running them until they are past the line or am I pushing my luck?

7 yrs?

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
replace

Bocephus Jones II said:

I let a set go so far on my commuter bike that it started grinding into the pad holder. Not good. They are cheap enough, given how long they last, that I'd go ahead and replace before there are issues.

I like the Swiss Stop yellow better than the standard Campy pads. They seem to have a smoother feel, and less of a "grinding" feel. Hard to describe. They say they are for carbon, but work great on Open Pros. I've actually made them last longer than the Campy ones did on my commuter, including all winter. YMMV, of course.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JCavilia said:
yeah...I have a pretty light hand on the brakes. :D plus I rarely ride that bike in bad (read rainy) weather.

·
good son , bad man
149 Posts
As good as all of the Campy componets are, the stock brake pads, quite honestly, suck. They are noisy, and don't stop worth sh__. The rubber seems to be very hard and they grind and leave black streaks on your rims.

Definately don't replace them with Campy rather go for Kool Stop black.

They cost half as much, are silent, last as long, don't blacken your rims and they STOP.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Parallel universes

uncle said:
the stock brake pads, quite honestly, suck. They are noisy, and don't stop worth sh__. The rubber seems to be very hard and they grind and leave black streaks on your rims.
Hmmm. Never had any of these problems - currently running two Campy bikes in the family, and there's never a trace of rubber on the rims, no noises, and good stopping power.

·
good son , bad man
149 Posts
About 4 months ago my main riding partner dropped $7600.00 on a Cervelo Soloist SLC-SL equipped with '08 Campy Record throughout, Zipp Team CSC wheels from excelsports.com. What an awesome piece of machinery that bike is. It weighs 15.5 lbs. on my digital scale(and it's a large frame to accomodate his 6'-4" body) and performs like a dream.

His only complaint: The brake pads. I got tired of hearing about it and suggested the KoolStops. Now I'm tired of hearing him thank me.

Kerry, next time your pads need replacing, try the KoolStops. I'll bet you'lll be pleased.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
uncle said:
About 4 months ago my main riding partner dropped $7600.00 on a Cervelo Soloist SLC-SL equipped with '08 Campy Record throughout, Zipp Team CSC wheels from excelsports.com. What an awesome piece of machinery that bike is. It weighs 15.5 lbs. on my digital scale(and it's a large frame to accomodate his 6'-4" body) and performs like a dream.

His only complaint: The brake pads. I got tired of hearing about it and suggested the KoolStops. Now I'm tired of hearing him thank me.

Kerry, next time your pads need replacing, try the KoolStops. I'll bet you'lll be pleased.
I'm gonna give them a try, but never really had complaints with the Campys...after all I got nearly 7 years riding from one set.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Hmmm. Never had any of these problems - currently running two Campy bikes in the family, and there's never a trace of rubber on the rims, no noises, and good stopping power.
Same here.

I've got a buddy who rides the brakes down most downhills - whether it's a pinch the top tube, grit your teeth, nail biter - or just a freeway overpass. If I'm behind him, I can count on seeing those calipers close for a bit, just enough to skim the rim.

Sure enough, he's always got streaks on his rims, and glazed pads that he always has to scuff up with a file.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I'm gonna give them a try, but never really had complaints with the Campys...after all I got nearly 7 years riding from one set.
Never had a complaint about campy brakes? Oops - I'm sorry, not brakes, "speed modulators"

Anyone who knows anything about campy should know that these things are not designed to stop you.....

(and yes, I ride Record '07 with the stock pads - but I'll be switching them out when they are gone for something that will actualyl stop me.)

:D

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wilier said:
Never had a complaint about campy brakes? Oops - I'm sorry, not brakes, "speed modulators"

Anyone who knows anything about campy should know that these things are not designed to stop you.....

(and yes, I ride Record '07 with the stock pads - but I'll be switching them out when they are gone for something that will actualyl stop me.)

:D
I have the Y2k Chorus brakes--the dual pivots. I think Campy changes to single pivot the following year--at least for the rear brake. THe dual pivot is a better design for actual braking in my opinion, but I guess they wanted to save weight. I am not a big braker, but there are a few descents where you have a stop sign at the bottom and you need to really grab the brakes to stop. I've always had no problems. Lately I've been getting some squealing and the limit mark is getting close so I guess it's time to replace pads.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just replaced pads on front last year, older campy 96 vintage with the kool stop dual compound black and orange - work fine. Like you, I don't brake anymore than I absolutely have to - its all about anticipation.

Just remember to get pads for the older model year as the newer pads/model do not fit the older holders.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Campy

If you gotten 7 years of use out of a set of Campy pads why would you want to use anything else? Koolstops are cheaper, but Campy's last longer, from my own experience about twice as long as Koolstops. Don't know about Koolstop salmons though..

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dinosaur said:
If you gotten 7 years of use out of a set of Campy pads why would you want to use anything else? Koolstops are cheaper, but Campy's last longer, from my own experience about twice as long as Koolstops. Don't know about Koolstop salmons though..
I think I read the salmons wear quicker because they are softer. I may try the Kool stop blacks because they are cheep and people say they are as good or better than the stock Campys.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
How to remove pads

Toothpick said:
Is there a special trick to removing the old pads? I've started to change mine out only to stop because they wouldn't budge and was scared I was about to brake something. (pun intended)
The easiest way, IME, is to clamp the pad in a vice, thread a nut on the shoe bolt, and grab that nut with vice grips or Channellock pliers. You can apply some significant force without endangering anything. Think of sliding the pad out of the shoe. Also, in clamping the pad in the vice, you can actually narrow it and make it easier to remove.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.