Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These 9-speed Mirage brifters are new to me and I don't know how to spread the calipers for wheel removal. There's a trick here somewhere, please clue me in.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Please look at the red arrow on picture. Squeeze the lever just a little then push that metal button toward the outboard side of the brifter.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent visual !

Thanks - One more question. Where is the fastener that will loosen the brifter from the bars for stem replacement and general position adjusting?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I take it the 90 degree head tube/bottom of bars is a starting point for fine tuning fit? Didn't realize that (if that's what it is). Is the bottom of the brake lever there too just by coincidence or is that also about where its supposed to be (does this vary by brake levers or are they all (at least the more recent ones)"similar enough". thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strictly Science

You may be referring to the Golden Angle best described in the Davinci Code. I just move mine around depending on my ride attitude, usually somewhere between Superman and Mary Poppins.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
90 degrees in meaningless...

Everyone seta up their bars a bit different. If the bottom of the bars is 90 degrees to the head tube, it means that the bars are rotated up about 17 degrees which is quite a bit. On what I like to call "old school" bars, there is a substantial donward angle from the straight top section of the bars to the area where the ergo lever is mounted (ramp down). Often times, it's necessary to rotate these bars up (ends down like in the picture) to get the top up the brake hood either level or angled up just a few degrees and raised to a greater height. Without the rotation, the brake hoods would be far below the top of the bars. My Salso Poco bars require 10-15 degrees of rotation to work well with Campy levers/

The position of the bottom of the brake lever, relative to the bottom of the bars is totally irrelevant. It can easily vary several centimeters, depending on the shape of the bar and depth of the drop. It's the angle of the top of the brake hood that is more critical, IMO.

Many of the newer designs of handlebars, like the Deda 215 anatomic, require no rotation at all. With these bars, there is very little ramp down. The ends of the bars can be horizontal, the brake hoods angled up a bit and the angle in the anatomic drop section will probably be comfortable. The only downside to these bars is a short drop section. Thre;s barely room for small mens hands (like mine).

When setting up a new bar from scratch, the anatomic drop section should be set to a comfortable angle, first, then the the brake hood positioned level or a bit upward. If the brake hoods are then well below the top of the bars, they aren't for me. I just returned a pair of Easton EA-70 bars for this reason.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Ahh, Deda bar wrap. My favorite.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
breadrunner said:
You may be referring to the Golden Angle best described in the Davinci Code. I just move mine around depending on my ride attitude, usually somewhere between Superman and Mary Poppins.

LOL!!

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
I take it the 90 degree head tube/bottom of bars is a starting point for fine tuning fit? Didn't realize that (if that's what it is). Is the bottom of the brake lever there too just by coincidence or is that also about where its supposed to be (does this vary by brake levers or are they all (at least the more recent ones)"similar enough". thanks

That's a leftover from a previous discussion and another context. It's sort of traditional and that's just the way I do it. Actually having the bottom of the bar between flat (parallel with the ground) to 90 degrees in relationship with the headtube is somewhat traditional and advocated by guys like LeMond and Hinault. The way I'm set up is probabaly about as much as you would want your bars to be tipped up. It works for me and lots of other folks but do what works for you.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
rocco said:
That's a leftover from a previous discussion and another context. It's sort of traditional and that's just the way I do it. Actually having the bottom of the bar between flat (parallel with the ground) to 90 degrees in relationship with the headtube is somewhat traditional and advocated by guys like LeMond and Hinault. The way I'm set up is probabaly about as much as you would want your bars to be tipped up. It works for me and lots of other folks but do what works for you.
ladies and gentlemen--we are now floating in outer space

didn't the question get answered when alienator posted a pic of the little button you push to release campy brakes? :rolleyes:

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Questions! Questions! Questions!

Bocephus Jones II said:

Spiritualized?

All I want in life's a little bit of love to take the pain away
Getting strong today, a giant step each day
I've been told only fools rush in, only fools rush in
But I don't believe, I don't believe- I could still fall in love with you
I will love you till I die, and I will love you all the time
So please put your sweet hand in mine, and float in space and drift in time
All my time until I die, we'll float in space just you and I
I'll love you to death, I guess that's what you get
And I don't know where we are all going to
Love don't get stranger, it is what it is
Everythung happens today, and that's what you get

Bocephus Jones II said:
didn't the question get answered when alienator posted a pic of the little button you push to release campy brakes? :rolleyes:

Actually, cycle63 answered the original question and then I provided a supporting pic/illustration to my picture further to answer the second question. Then Friction starting riffing (not ripping) on the green lines on my picture that relate to how I have my bars and brifters set up.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Questions! Questions! Questions!

Bocephus Jones II said:

Spiritualized?

All I want in life's a little bit of love to take the pain away
Getting strong today, a giant step each day
I've been told only fools rush in, only fools rush in
But I don't believe, I don't believe- I could still fall in love with you
I will love you till I die, and I will love you all the time
All my time until I die, we'll float in space just you and I
I'll love you to death, I guess that's what you get
Love don't get stranger, it is what it is
Everythung happens today, and that's what you get

Bocephus Jones II said:

Actually, cycle63 answered the original question and then I provided a supporting pic/illustration with the red arrow to help. Then the OP asked second question about how the brifter is fastened/mounted. Alienator added a purple arrow to my picture to answer the second question. Then Friction starting riffing (not ripping) on the green lines on my picture that relate to how I have my bars and brifters set up. Then they talked about the Golden Angle and the Davinci Code and now I'm doing heroin with Jason "Spaceman" Pierce and ladies and gentlemen--we are now floating in outer space...

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
rocco said:
Spiritualized?

now I'm doing heroin with Jason "Spaceman" Pierce and ladies and gentlemen--we are now floating in outer space...
excellent! seeing a spiritualized ref here just made my day. i'm going to finish breakfast and go on a bike ride with jesus....:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts