Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to build up a bike with Chorus. I'd heard some grumbling about Campy brakes being a bit mushy (I already have a bike with Campy and I have no complaints but, hey, what do I know?). Anyway, are brakes by Cane Creek, Zero Gravity, etc noticably better? Any opinions on these or the Campys??

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You will get mushy brakes if the pads are not flush to the rim.....sounds like an adjustment problem and not an equipment one. Campy brakes work very well.

brewster

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not mushy...

Campy brakes are not the least bit "mushy", but they do require a greater pressure to operate than some others. IMO, this is a good thing. Nothing's worse than a locked-up wheel. The single pivot rear brake has less braking force than the dual pivot style. Most of your braking force comes from the front wheel, so that's where it's at. With the single pivot rear, there's little chance of a rear wheel lockup.

I ride technical mountain descents all the time. Never had a problem with Campy brakes, Record or Chorus (I have both).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
KarlW said:
I'm about to build up a bike with Chorus. I'd heard some grumbling about Campy brakes being a bit mushy (I already have a bike with Campy and I have no complaints but, hey, what do I know?). Anyway, are brakes by Cane Creek, Zero Gravity, etc noticably better? Any opinions on these or the Campys??
Cane Creek makes the BRS200SL single pivots that are noticeably weaker. recently they've come out with a line of dual-pivots, but I'm not sure how good they are - they look like Shimano brakes. Zero Gravity is noticeably better than Campy, but noticeably more expensive would be an understatement.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have had a few Chorus brakes even the first ones with the interleaved <sp?> arms. Nice brakes good performance no complaints. Like C-40 said they are not mushy just less prone to lock up. More speed modulators at speed. Still stops quick if need be with pressure.
But I must alos say I just installed some Mavic SSC.....wow these are really nice. Light or lighter than Record & Chorus plus feel better to me.
Cheap too... They sell new on ebay for 140 ish
The only ones I have not tried yet are Zero Gravity. High price but I have heard well worth it in function & weight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Two words-Mavic SSC. I've used the new Dura-Ace, older Ultegra, most recently 05 Zero Gravity but I keep going back to these. There's something about the "snappy" return spring and smooth feel. Excellent modulation but plenty of power. They're a bargain as well.

2wheelsport

·
Registered
482 Posts
2wheelsport said:
Two words-Mavic SSC. I've used the new Dura-Ace, older Ultegra, most recently 05 Zero Gravity but I keep going back to these. There's something about the "snappy" return spring and smooth feel. Excellent modulation but plenty of power. They're a bargain as well.

2wheelsport

So you liked them even better than the ZG's ?

I know I love these Mavics too. But was thinking of trying the ZG's just to see.

·
Registered
105 Posts
flying said:
So you liked them even better than the ZG's ?

I know I love these Mavics too. But was thinking of trying the ZG's just to see.
I loved the weight reduction of the ZG's and they looked nice. I had no problems with performance. They were a little finicky to set up otherwise no complaints. I think it boiled down to "feel" for me plus I like the smooth looks of the Mavics. I personally think the Mavic's are more powerful brakes by a small margin. I decided to buy a new crankset/bb combo and a new seat that will reduce the total weight of the bike by a much larger margin than just the brakes alone.

You'll love the ZG's. They are unique and I like the fact that they are a small company and innovative. From a performance standpoint they're not worth $250 more, but when you spend that kind of coin for brakes, it's more for the exclusivity. Get the SS version instead. Coupled with lightweight pad/holders you're only giving up I think 30-40 grams and they're I believe $100 less.

[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts