Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, how do I install a Campy cassette on a Tune Mag 180 rear hub that only has 4 splines on it? Is there a specific way to put the cassette on, or will just sliding it on suffice? This thing has me utterly confused.

·
Registered
604 Posts
On a 'normal' Campy freehub body only 4 of the 8 splines engage the cassette...the other 4 are only there to stop the cassette rotating backwards.

Installation on the Tune Campy-style freehub is very easy:
1) Smear grease along the length of each of the 4 splines.
2) Install the cassette as per normal, pay attention to where the 'key splines' are and make sure they're all lined up on top of each other.
3) Install the locknut finger tight.
4) With a glove on your hand rotate the cassette cogs by hand, pushing them against the splines of the freehub body. While hold the cassette cogs tighten the lockring to hold them in place.
5) Use a torque wrench to tighten the cassette lockring to 40Nm. It is important that the lockring is tight enough to support the cassette correctly, however too tight and you run the risk of damaging either the freehub body or the lockring.

Once fitted there is no risk of the cassette cogs backing off as the freehub body will ratchet.

:thumbsup: Tristan

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tristan. I was hoping that was the answer because I didn't want to have to return these hubs. Plus, I really wanted to build these wheels this week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.