Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I had my cassette off and apart for a super-extra-mega cleaning, I can't seem to get the lockring to stay put. This is causing rattling that sounds like the bike wants to shift gears in certain cog/chainring combos. Basically, it's just like the brain-teaser Dr. Hoo posted in General a couple of weeks ago.

My brain isn't being teased by what the problem is--I know what it is--I just can't seem to get it to stay fixed. After maybe 60 miles, especially if there's climbing, the lockring loosens a little and I have the problem again.

It's a Chorus cassette on a Veloce hub (I'm pretty sure it's Chorus). 12-25 10 speed. The first 6 cogs are loose, and the last four are riveted into pairs. I checked the spacers against the book of words when I reassembled the whole thing, so I'm reasonably certain I've got them in the right places (it doesn't appear to matter which way they're turned). I'm using a torque wrench to grink down the lockring.

Am I missing something? Could a spacer problem that doesn't seem to affect shifting still cause the lockring to loosen? I'm stumped.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken said:
Did you put the spacers back in the right order? It does make a difference.
http://tinyurl.com/nkmah
I thought I did--I checked the book to make sure, because I got nervous. I'll probably have to pull it all and re-check this weekend.

Also, for LBK--I see what you mean, but I remember it as two pre-assembled pairs. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.