Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like it should work, but I figured I better check with the experts. I am having a problem getting my front crank chain line to allow me to use the 34 ring in front with the 11 cog in back. I wind up rubbing on the 50 tooth chain ring, even though all the parts are Campy. I can live with my 34/12 option but I also have a replacement cassette that is a 12-25. When I eventually swap this out can I replace the 13 second cog with another 12 cog? It looks like it should work and it would allow me to at lease get the 34/12 combination using the second cog. I need to figure this out so I can exchange the 12-25 if I have to back to an 11-25 but I don't want to pay the additional costs if I can just swap out the cog when I need this cassette.

The question is this; is the 12 cog on the 11-25 cassette a direct replacement for the 13 cog on the 12-25 cassette (Veloce), or is there another way to get the 12 cog on the 12-25 cassette into the second spot? They look different and have different spec numbers so I am probably not going to be able to make this work. It seems that the number one spot 12 cog is different from the number 2 cog 12. Anyway, thought I would ask.

Thanks guys.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,322 Posts
dookie said:
the question is this:

why do you want to cross-chain so badly? 34/11 is 50/16.

Bingo.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
bad idea...

It's normal for the chain to rub the big ring in the 34/11 it should never be used. The 34/12 should work OK.

Why in the world you'd want a 12-12-14? setup is beyond me. If you can live with only a 50/12 top gear, but the stock 12-25 on and use it.

You should be shifting up to the big ring before you get to the 34/12 anyway.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you guys are right, but I use the 34/12 a lot and when I shift up to the 50 it is only good for a short distance before I am back to 34. It just the nature of the hills here in my part on Minnesota. I suppose I can try the 50 ring more but I have spent the last 20 years over this same terrain with a 38 and 48 front pair of rings and they match what I am used to perfectly. 34 and 50 are just not a fit as I am used to faster rotations, but that is what Campy makes so I have no choice. I can live without the 11 but if I am stuck with 34/13 I will be shifting the FD every 45 seconds. Unfortunately, the FSA front crank I had on here before worked with 34/11 with no problem and I got used to it. Now that I have replaced it with Campy components, I have lost the 11 and when I eventually replace it with the 12-25 I will lose the 12 as well.

Any hope on the 12-12-14 or should I swap it back for an 11-25 or should I just get used to shifting the FD all the time.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
IMHO, from experience of failed bits, I try to use the campy gear as designed instead of improvising. I think you're better off leaving the part as is and adapting to it.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
better idea...

With a Campy 10 drivetrain, the switch to a compact was really a waste of time. A 53/39 with a 13-29 cassette would give you the gear ratios you want. A 39/14 is nearly identical to a 34/12 and it would be quite useable. You should also be able to use the 39/13, but it's still not a great idea.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas guys. Unfortunately, the parts I have will not allow me to go to a 39/53 crank without changing out the RD and in any case, I have invested enough in the CT cranks as it is. I guess I will work on getting the 12-25 cassette exchanged for an 11-25 so at least I can salvage the 34-12 gear option and I will spend more time on the 50 ring. Also, my bike shop is sending me a 1mm spacer for the BB and that might get me back my chain line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.