Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 3 new cassettes from probikekit. Campy Veloce 10. Installed 2 of them on 2 different wheels, saving the other for future use.

Last night I was prepping my stuff for race weekend and put the spare wheel w/ new cassette on the bike for a test ride. Get on, run thru the gears and discover that one of the middle cogs is skipping horribly. New chain, new cassette, what gives?

I pulled the wheel and looked closely, and it seems one of the spacers is too thin.

WTF?

I just remembered - one of the cassettes boxes was not sealed - it was in a Campy box, but the white plastic installer thingy, wasn't there. I just removed the rubber band and slid-em-on.

Is this a Campy quality control issue? No idea. Or is PBK reselling returned goods as new?

Anyway, I'll just swap out the correct spacer from another old cassette I have. Mainly just wanted to vent.

Also: this is why we pre-test gear before race weekend!

G

·
Creakyknees said:
I bought 3 new cassettes from probikekit. Campy Veloce 10. Installed 2 of them on 2 different wheels, saving the other for future use.

Last night I was prepping my stuff for race weekend and put the spare wheel w/ new cassette on the bike for a test ride. Get on, run thru the gears and discover that one of the middle cogs is skipping horribly. New chain, new cassette, what gives?

I pulled the wheel and looked closely, and it seems one of the spacers is too thin.

WTF?

I just remembered - one of the cassettes boxes was not sealed - it was in a Campy box, but the white plastic installer thingy, wasn't there. I just removed the rubber band and slid-em-on.

Is this a Campy quality control issue? No idea. Or is PBK reselling returned goods as new?

Anyway, I'll just swap out the correct spacer from another old cassette I have. Mainly just wanted to vent.

Also: this is why we pre-test gear before race weekend!

Probably a product return .............

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks C-40, that's what I figgered, just didn't feel like messing w it last night.

Good thing I had a sealed NIB handy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts