Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Centaur gruppo worth buying as a build kit? With a light wallet I am trying to get the bang for my buck with components. So I imagine I will need to upgrade certain components within the group. Any suggestions on Centaur and which components to upgrade to Chorus?

Cheers

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Don't upgrade anything. Is is all very functional if you have a light wallet.

If you are rich, it won't work and you'll need Record.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
crank and BB

The crank uses a 111mm spindle length, so you can't upgrade the BB at a later time with higher level Campy parts. Some online dealers have 2003 Chorus or Record cranks on sale, since both were updated for 2004. These cranks use the more common 102mm spindle length and either the Chorus or Record BB.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re crank and BB

C-40 said:
The crank uses a 111mm spindle length, so you can't upgrade the BB at a later time with higher level Campy parts. Some online dealers have 2003 Chorus or Record cranks on sale, since both were updated for 2004. These cranks use the more common 102mm spindle length and either the Chorus or Record BB.
So it sounds like finding some more cash would be a better option and get Chorus. Or at least upgrading the crrankset to Chorus. Do you know of places to search for the 2003 Chorus gear at a reasonable price? Excel and ColoradoCyclist are great people but I still can't afford their bottom line.

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
Cheers,

while the above poster is correct about the fact that you can't run a Record or Chorus BB with your Centaur crankset, you can run a Phil Wood BB (comes in 111mm spindle with Campy taper) that you'd be able to buy later as your original BB wears out and you can afford it. Right off the bat, I'd upgrade the Ergopower levers to Chorus since you get bearings instead of bushings. I'm running a similar set-up...all Centaur except for Chorus Ergos.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Centaur is great kit! I've got two 10 speed groupsets on the go at the moment but I always upgrade the BB and chainset to Chorus because of the narrow Q factor and lighter weight.

Now that Chorus is becoming carbonated then I think that I'll keep buying Centaur.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Everything in the Centaur group is fine except the crank and BB. The crank looks cheap, and the BB is crap. Upgrade those two to Chorus.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been riding Daytona for 2+ years ...

Same as Centaur, different name. I love this stuff. I'm a big sucker for high end bike parts and my bike is now loaded with overpriced parts. But - I cannot justify "upgrading" the Daytona/Centaur drivetrain. The shifters are fine, even with bushings instead of bearings on the pivots. Besides, replacement bushings are available if they ever start to feel sloppy. The derailleurs shift as well as anything I've ever used. I did upgrade to Record hubs and cassette however. If I were to do it again I would save the money and stick with the Daytona/Centaur hubs and use a Chorus cassette.

I also use the Daytona crankset as well. I find no weight or stiffness advantage to upgrading to Chorus. The Campy BB is very smooth, but it is a brick. For that reason, I use a FSA Ultimax Carbon, 110.5mm, ISO taper, Ti bottom bracket. Although this item is listed on their website, it is not an easy item to find. I've had several dealers tell me this part does not exist. So I called FSA direct and Tom admitted that they do not make many and did not know when he would be receiving a new batch. Then he offered to send me his own leftover Campagnolo Daytona BB to use on my bike until they received a new shipment of the ISO tapers. How's that for service?

The rings which came with my Daytona crank actually had Chorus tags on them, but I mounted black TA Horus 10-speed rings because they're sexy. I put on some alloy chainring bolts as well. There is nothing wrong with the stock rings and they definitely represent an excellent value.

I could not be happier with my choice of Daytona/Centaur parts. I think that's a pretty good endorsement after 2 seasons, headed into a 3rd year on these components.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Everything in the Centaur group is fine except the crank and BB. The crank looks cheap, and the BB is crap. Upgrade those two to Chorus.
Can't use Chorus BB on Centaur.......Just use the Centaur and replace it when it wears out. The rest of the group is terrific. Trust me, the BB won't wear out overnight...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.