Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looiking at kits...

Campy Centaur with carbon crank or Shimano ultegra... any thougts...

always had shimano, so i know nothing of campy...

·
Banned
381 Posts
Omg....

Another Campy vs. Shimano thread........Let the war begin~

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
looiking at kits...

Go with the Ultegra. Word on the street is that the Centaur stuff wears out quicker and breaks easy.

;)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Ask your SO out for dinner tonight and present her with the choice between Pasta or Sushi, if Sushi then Ultegra, if Pasta then Centaur.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Test Ride

bikerboy337 said:
Campy Centaur with carbon crank or Shimano ultegra...
See which set of levers fit your hands best and is most comfortable. Both Centaur and Ultegra are similar level wise with perhaps a slight edge to Ultegra now that it has gone 10 speed. We have both Centaur and Ultegra in the house as well Chorus and Dura Ace. There are pluses and minuses for both groups which you should be able to find in one of the many C vs S threads. Be careful as you read to focus on factual statements rather than passionate statements. Also remember many people lack experience with both brands so sometimes lack the knowledge to give you an informed opinion.

One of the arguments for Campy is the ability to rebuild the levers rather than replace like Shimano. I would offer one caution here in that the parts to rebuild are not cheap and then you need to consider labor. Does your local shop rat have the knowledge to rebuild your levers or is it a Shimano only LBS? If you have some reasonable mechanical skills you can rebuild the levers yourself and then the rebuild option becomes a plus since you save on labor and dont have to dispose of your dead levers like STI.

Personally I would choose the Centaur but you will have a great summer riding on either group.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Whose word on the street?

Lifelover said:
Go with the Ultegra. Word on the street is that the Centaur stuff wears out quicker and breaks easy.

;)
Word on the street is that I installed my Centaur, and never had to re-tune it. Another word on the street is that I installed my Chorus kit on another bike, and also never had to re-tune it. And it's been 2.5 years, and several airline trips, and many races and a few unfortunate crashes.

Finally, another word on the street is that when I scrathed the body on Chorus shifter, I was able to buy the parts, and swapped out the rest of the shifter myself, costing me only 2 beers (for myself) for self-servicing my Campag parts.

And of course, I haven't had to re-tune the dang thing since.

And what's this I hear about Shimano's "breaking-in period"? Does that not imply that it has to be re-tuned, perhaps more than once?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I have to retune my Shimansky 105/Ultegra combo once a year. When I change my cables.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
+1 Centaur

not because Ultegra is a bad group, it's great. IMO Centaur just looks better, works as well, and screams "classic". I'm not a big fan of Shimano's crank designs and the centaur cranks both carbon and alloy are hot. But like the other posters said, chose the group that fits your hands better.

JR

·
Banned
608 Posts
iopturbo said:
if it was between chorus and ultegra I'd say go chorus, but in this case I'd have to give it to shimano.
If it were between Chorus and Dura Ace, I'd say go Chorus. Between Chorus and Ultegra there is not even any question.

Go for the Centaur.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
If it were between Chorus and Dura Ace, I'd say go Chorus. Between Chorus and Ultegra there is not even any question.

Go for the Centaur.
haha yeah I just chose Chorus over Dura Ace on my build.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
looiking at kits...

Since you've already been convinced that Centaur= Ultegra, I don't think you are really looking for an answer. - TF

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks For All The Replies

Just knew nothing of campy.... so to hear centaur is pretty much the equivalent to ultegra, thats what i was looiking for... i can get a centaur build with carbon cranks cheaper than ultegra, so thats what i'm leaning toards... but i'll check the fit as well to make sure i like them... have had ultegra before, and was fine by me, but money talks...

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
slide said:
he was kidding....hence the wink.
Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner!

I have zero experience with campy. I just wanted to heat up the discussion a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been using Campy Centaur groupo for the past 3 years. 1 yr ago I ditched the square taper bb design of campy and went with a new truvativ carbon gxp crankset. BIG difference in stiffness. I ride an estimated 800-1000 miles a month and I change my cable/housing every 18 months or so. So far, no problems with any part of the groupo. Only complaint is that campy cables, housing, and cassettes are very expensive to replaced compared with Shimano. I hope this is helpful.

I wouldn't buy either campy or shimano groupos intill the new sram road components are available.

·
Special guest
Ultegra R8000
574 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
My 1st bike had Ultegra 6 spd SIS with downtube shifters. There was functionally nothing wrong with any of the Shimano parts, but I slowly kept replacing all the parts with Campy, and became a truly happy, diehard Campy fan. When I got my latest bike, it had Ultegra on it. I just couldn't get comfortable with the brifters, where as on the Campy brifters I felt right at home. The function was fine, but the mechanics just didn't suit me. It was like speaking a different language. With the Shimano brifters I have to think about the act of shifting, and then translate that thought to my hands. With the Campy brifters, the process is completely instinctual. Some folks will feel the complete opposite way, and that's the spice of life. (You know what I mean?) It's going to be like trying on a pair of nice shoes. Some people will always prefer one style over the other. I prefer mine Italian. Being able to rebuild the brifters is also an option I'd be attracted to, since I do all of my own bike maintenance.

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
Go with comfort; both the groups are going to be reliable.

My ride is Ultegra, and the shifting is quick and smooth as butter, even under load. No tune-ups needed.

I'd gladly try Campy; maybe I'll spec my next bike with it. But with Shimano, I like the comfort, easily available parts, and the clean, quick shifts.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have D-A 9 and Record 10. I think your decision should be based on how the shifters fit your hands and on your choice of wheels. Which ever you choose be sure your rear hub (or wheel) is compatible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts