Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been given a wonderful gift, a friend gave me his oldCannondale Optimo frame, and a few parts... so, now I need a buildkit! My current bike (Calfee Luna Pro) is a bit of a frankenstein'smonster, it has a mishmash of 8 speed Chorus and Athena components.

Sooo, I'm trying to educate myself a bit. I've narrowed down mysearch to Campy Centaur vs. SRAM Rival... I've always been a Campyguy, but the SRAM stuff seems to get good reviews. At this pricepoint, I'm sure you've deduced that I'm not a racer, on a budget, andwhile weight IS a consideration, I don't count every gram. I'm notreally familiar with either gruppo, The SRAM stuff I really onlyknow from the reviews I've read online.

How do the two groups compare in function, reliability, andappearance? They're both basically the same price, is either one aclear cut winner in value over the other one? Are there any specific components in either gruppo that when upgradedto the next level are worth it? Perhaps a rear derailleur gives a bigjump in performance between Rival and Force, for instance.Conversely, are there any that when downgraded you save some money andlose nothing more than some finish, or 5 grams or so?

Thanks for any advice anyone wants to throw out there!
Ted

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
the new centaur shifters are so vague compared to the 'normal' positive feel of campy shifters. i can't stand the way they feel now...rode record for years, but i don't think i could live w/ the new centaur. i think campy blew it making the index disc that different. that said...the rival is very positive, there is not any mechanical difference between force and rival, only materials. you'll have to get used to not having the thumb button, but it's not bad. i've yet to see a pair of sram shifters wear out, and i've been working on it since the prototype models. i have a pair of rival shifters that were made in june of '06 and they're still going strong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, thanks for the info, everyone... but now here's a new wrinkle. What if I can get carbon centaur for cheaper than Rival? If I order from England, it changes the economics...

So, new query... Centaur carbon, Rival. Discuss.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
ankhaw said:
Okay, thanks for the info, everyone... but now here's a new wrinkle. What if I can get carbon centaur for cheaper than Rival? If I order from England, it changes the economics...

So, new query... Centaur carbon, Rival. Discuss.
that's great but it doesn't change the way the new centaur feels. it's almost like a friction shifter is hiding in a new campy lever. i'm usually very impartial when it comes to stuff like this...i've been working in the bike industry for a lot of years, and pretty much everything the big 3 drivetrain manufacturers put out works very well. i run what i run because the last couple of teams i've worked for are sponsored by that particular company and it works fine. i've used shimano sti levers for years, i rode campy 10 for 3 or 4 years. BUT...i couldn't use the new centaur. the new record/chorus? sure, no prob. rival is available for such good prices here in the states, i think it's worth it. wayyyyy more positive feel. try both out and make your decision though...it's worth the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts