Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
too wide...

Campy didn't make the narrower 10 speed chain and now the new ultra narrow models just for fun. Get the right chain. The older, pre-ultra version is now discounted at some online stores. If you just want a cheap chain, then try a shimano 10 chain. Even a shimano 9 chain would be narrower than a Campy 9.

A chain that's too wide makes the rear derailleur adjustment difficult.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
feedback on Shimano Ten chain with Campy

For what it's worth, in April I broke a Wipperman SS ten chain with only 500 miles on it while climbing, which sent me to the ground. I bought a D.A. ten chain for a replacement and it worked fine for a short period. The problem I found was picking the chain up when shifting from the small chain ring (39) to the large ring (53). Often It took a couple of revolutions for the chain to pick up, and a couple of times I would look down and it did not pick up at all. I went back to using a Campy Ten Ultra Drive and the difference is the chain almost jumps from the small ring to the large. Lennard Zinn does not recommend using a Shimano Ten chain with a Campy drive-line for this reason. I'm sticking to Campy chains, or a Wipperman nickel. I use the old standard of a Wipperman Connex link with the Campy chain.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
interesting...

There must be soemting different about the shimano outer plates that makes the chain shift lousy. I was afraid the new Campy ultra narrow (same width as shimano) might have the same problem, but it's working like a charm on my FSA triple.

I did find that the campy triple FD cage was a bit too wide to work with this narrow chain. Even with the pivot arm resting on the seat tube (limit screw backed all the way out) it would not shift to the the little ring. A slight tweak of the cage, where it touches the chain(to narrow it) fixed the problem. Shifting is better than ever.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
explanation

Dinosaur said:
For what it's worth, in April I broke a Wipperman SS ten chain with only 500 miles on it while climbing, which sent me to the ground. I bought a D.A. ten chain for a replacement and it worked fine for a short period. The problem I found was picking the chain up when shifting from the small chain ring (39) to the large ring (53). Often It took a couple of revolutions for the chain to pick up, and a couple of times I would look down and it did not pick up at all. I went back to using a Campy Ten Ultra Drive and the difference is the chain almost jumps from the small ring to the large. Lennard Zinn does not recommend using a Shimano Ten chain with a Campy drive-line for this reason. I'm sticking to Campy chains, or a Wipperman nickel. I use the old standard of a Wipperman Connex link with the Campy chain.
I would imagine that is the Campy componets rejecting the Shimano intrusion. Kinda like a bad liver transplant. FWIW i find the new narrow Campy 10s chain the quietest chain I've ever used. Don't have enough miles to talk about durability yet

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi

amirt62 said:
hello

i would like to know if a campy 9 s chain will work on 10 s campy components- chorus 10v

will it make no damage to crank and cassette?
I've been using 9sp chains on my 10sp drive train for the last 3 years with no issues whatsoever. The only difference between a 9sp chain and a 10sp chain is the width of the chain. The pitch is the same. Between cogs 2 to 9 on a 10sp Campy cassette there is about 3.9mm of space on each side of the cog the chain is riding on. Which means if the chain was 7.8mm wide it wouldn't fit between the cogs. As I recall, I think that Shimano and Campy 9sp chains are 6.9mm wide. SRAM PC59's are 7.1mm and KMC's are 6.6mm wide. I've gotten all of these chains to work and without any noise due to rubbing. If set up properly they shift the same as the narrower 10sp chains. It's easier to install a 10sp chain and have it dialed in properly because it's narrower. They are also a little lighter and more expensive than 9sp chains even though the cost to manufacture is the same. I would also add that "in my experience" 10sp chains break easier. I currently use KMC 9sp chains on my Campy 10sp drive train. I get them on sale for about $10. Very cost effective. YMMV.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.