Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have decided to try out campy. I have used shimano until this time. I hadnt done much research before I purchased my stuff (not here yet).

I am wondering about chain compatability and chain tools.

I assumed that there are a number of other brands of 10speed chains that will work with campy 10 speed, ie wipperman. Will these brands work with the record cassette with its ti cogs etc? Is there a huge performace change between using campy chains and these other brands?

Also, am I going to need some crazy campy chain tool? If so, would it work on all compatible chains for campy? I will also need a little one for the seat bag just in case. Is this going to cost me a tonne?

THanks for the help!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats on moving to campy, I hope you like it.

I think we may need more info though. If you are talking about Campy 11 speed, only a campy 11 s chain and chaintool will work.
As for 10s stuff, I'm not sure. I have moved to campy, and able to do most maintenance on my bike including taking apart the cassette, adjusting the bottom bracket, tooling around with the brakes on my 10s veloce group without any specialty or proprietary tools not found in my peformance house brand tool box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think maybe I should have said what gruppo!

It is the 2008 record 10 speed gruppo. All on sale and a gear more than what ive been riding!

Thanks

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I use a regular Park Tools chain tool for all of my chains, Campy, Shimano, and SRAM. I don't have 11-speed, though.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
chain

Wittigrxn said:
I think maybe I should have said what gruppo!

It is the 2008 record 10 speed gruppo. All on sale and a gear more than what ive been riding!

Thanks
Although Campy has a special 10s chain tool you can install a 10s HD-L chain using a good quality chain tool. Park has instructions on their site. Fundamentally the HDL installation is similar to Shimano except that there is a separate guide pin instead of an attached guide you snap off. I just installed a KMC chain on my 10s Centaur. Seems to shift well and is quiet by only tikme will tell

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dont waste your time installing the chain with the permanent Campy pin

The best set up for Campy 10 speed is to run the Campy chain and use a Quick Link like the Wipperman Connex. Its a breeze to install and allows you to easily disconnect for cleaning and maintenance.

The only problem I have ever seen with the Connex link is if it is not installed properly with an 11 tooth first cog, for an example an 11-23.

You can install the Connex link incorrectly and it still works fine on a 12-25 or 13-26, it just has to be installed the proper way or it skips on an 11 because it will ride on top of the lock ring.

If you do install the Campy chain pin you can use the low cost Park chain tool without any issues just remember to pay attention to the instructions where it tells you to drive the connector pin in from the inside of the bike.

Also the BB / Cassette tool for Campagnolo is proprietary.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use kmc with campy 9 and 10 setups and they work great....only had one campy chain ever...no noticeable difference except that it was more expensive.

kmc has a variety of flavors and weights and uses the "quick link"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.