Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer good suggestions.

All components brand new (except rear Der), and professionally installed. Chorus UT Compact cranks (and rings), Ft Der (chorus), chain (chorus), brifters/cables (Record). I am running a Jtek on the rear with Shimano Der (not brand new, but in excellent cond.), and a brand new Ultegra cassette.

Rear shifting is flawless. I can not say enough about how impressed I am with the performance.

Front shifting is the headache. When I shift from big ring to small (while in middle of the cassette) I get chain suck sometimes. The chain stays on the ring and drags up through the front derailler. I am forced to stop pedaling and rotate it backwards a quarter turn, and all is well.

This is obviously less than ideal and annoying because it happens about once in each ride. Perhaps if it happened more frequently, it would be easier to figure out.

I am new to Campy, so maybe I am short shifting the front...and this is just something I will get used to and prevent it with better technique? I am in my second week on this drive train, and would have thought that by now all user error would be eliminated.

I am not new to cycling, have been riding and wrenching for better than 20 years. But I certainly do not know it all.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
491 Posts
if the chain is sticking to the ring, then it's either the chain or the ring, they are both brand new, but it's alot cheaper to try another chain than to replace chainrings. I would put another chain on the bike and see if the problem continues, maybe you have a chain with a few bad links and those are hanging up on the ring. Anyway thats my 2 cents worth, hope you get it solved.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
New chain: Is this the UN (Ultra Narrow) chain?

Figure out if the chain is sucking in the teeth of the small ring, large ring, or is it catching the underside of the ramp pins on the big ring? Maybe file off the underside (no use for upshifting) of the pins if so.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spunout said:
New chain: Is this the UN (Ultra Narrow) chain?

Figure out if the chain is sucking in the teeth of the small ring, large ring, or is it catching the underside of the ramp pins on the big ring? Maybe file off the underside (no use for upshifting) of the pins if so.
It is the latest offering of Campy 10 speed chains. Honestly, I am not sure if the package said UN, but the guy that ordered/installed it all for me is pretty detail oriented (so much so that I quit wrenching and have him tune my stuff).

I will take it to him today to see what he thinks, but wanted to get some ideas here also (thanks for the great suggestions so far BTW).

To your questions...I think you may be onto something with the underside of the pin idea. Everything happens pretty fast, and infrequently enough that I am not ready and fail to focus on what is going on, but I *think* the chain is on the little ring and hanging on the side of the big ring (probably the pin as you suggest).

Thanks a heap!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all the replies. Fee free to offer more.

I took it back to the shop and discussed some of these ideas/concepts with the wrench. (this guy is a real class act).

He seems to agree that the chain is likely the cause and is replacing it for me. He also is taking a look at the shifting pins and agrees that a few stick up far enough to grab from the underside. He is also going to "polish and relieve" the sharp edges off the bottoms of the pins (he prefers that term to "grinding" on a brand new Campy part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.