Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vermonter
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this subject has been broached in another thread, for which I apologize, but has anyone from Campagnolo ever given a definitive response about what to do with the grease on a new chain? I've read a lot of opinions, which I'm sure have validity but in the final analysis I'm still left somewhat ambivalent about what to do.:confused:

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
With Shimano chains, I've used them "as is" with the factory lube, then did my usual cleaning & lube after the first 1-2 rides.

I prefer a more "dry" lube, and the factory lubes attract more road dirt.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would choose to soak in mineral spirits and scrub to remove all that junk. I use Prolink lube and it works best after removing the factory stuff.

If I wasn't using Prolink, I would probably just install it, lube and ride.

G

·
I wipe them with mineral spirits now. The newer chains especially the 11speed versions have more goop on them than ever and I tried it out with a new one once and that stuff is so sticky it has to be cleaned. In the past I would lube wipe and repeat and things seemed fine.

·
Registered
913 Posts
DO NOT WIPE OFF!!!! What Campy puts on their new chains is (believe it or not) premium stuff. You can reasonbly get 200+ miles out of it before it wears out. The most I would consider doing is maybe wiping off the outer sides of the links so it's not so messy, but keep what you can inside the links.

I can't speak for the other manufacturers' chains, but as for Campy's stuff, you DEFINATELY DO NOT want to wipe it off.

Once it's worn off, that's a different story. Everyone & their mother has an opinion on what to lube a chain w/ (personally, I'm addicted to DuMonde tech, although applying it correctly can be a bit labour-intensive). But until then, If you've got a Campy Chain, DO NOT CLEAN IT OFF!!.....

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
nonsense....

jpdigital said:
DO NOT WIPE OFF!!!! What Campy puts on their new chains is (believe it or not) premium stuff. You can reasonbly get 200+ miles out of it before it wears out. The most I would consider doing is maybe wiping off the outer sides of the links so it's not so messy, but keep what you can inside the links.

I can't speak for the other manufacturers' chains, but as for Campy's stuff, you DEFINATELY DO NOT want to wipe it off.

Once it's worn off, that's a different story. Everyone & their mother has an opinion on what to lube a chain w/ (personally, I'm addicted to DuMonde tech, although applying it correctly can be a bit labour-intensive). But until then, If you've got a Campy Chain, DO NOT CLEAN IT OFF!!.....

NO lube does much good after 200 miles or so, so removing the factory grease is strictly optional. With the new 11 speed chain, it's so heavily greased that it will dirty up your new cogs and chainrings. I installed one with only exterior wiping, but the second one I degreased with mineral spirits and applied my regular homebrew lube, before installing it. I'd never waste money on overpriced lubes like DuMonde Tech, ProLink or ATB.

G

·
jpdigital said:

Concur with C-40, if you leave that stuff on the chain your Campy drivetrain will be dirty and noisy, especially the new 11 speed chains absolutely unworkable.

I also use homebrew exclusively. I put my Chorus 11 group through Rouge Roubaix last weekend and though it got plenty dirty the group held up well in that environment, much better than I.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I can't really speak for how heavily the 11 speed stuff is greased, but the stuff on my 10 speed Chorus & Record chains did indeed last an increadible amount of time; long enough to give me a lasting impression. BTW what's your homebrew??

·
Registered
199 Posts
Speaking of which I went to order my new Record chain from PBK. They were out of stock so I opted to have them send me an email notifying me of the shipment coming in. I got the email earlier this week. Went there today to order it...out of stock again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
C-40 said:
NO lube does much good after 200 miles or so, so removing the factory grease is strictly optional. With the new 11 speed chain, it's so heavily greased that it will dirty up your new cogs and chainrings. I installed one with only exterior wiping, but the second one I degreased with mineral spirits and applied my regular homebrew lube, before installing it. I'd never waste money on overpriced lubes like DuMonde Tech, ProLink or ATB.
What is your homebrew lube?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
search...

otoman said:
I already homebrew my chamois cream, why not the chain lube?

Seriously, what is your recipe? Thanks in advance!

Next time, do a search. Homebrew has been discussed a hundred times. I most often use a 3-4 parts minerla spirits or naptha (camp stove fuel) with one part oil. That oil can be anything from ordinary motor oil, to synthetic motor oil or 80/90W gear lube. In theory, the gear lube would have the best lubricating properties.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Few years ago I bought a bottle of cheapest motor oil I could find which was Shell Helix 15W-40 and been using it on all bikes ever since. After 4 years I still have half of the bottle left :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
C-40 said:
Next time, do a search. Homebrew has been discussed a hundred times. I most often use a 3-4 parts minerla spirits or naptha (camp stove fuel) with one part oil. That oil can be anything from ordinary motor oil, to synthetic motor oil or 80/90W gear lube. In theory, the gear lube would have the best lubricating properties.

thanks, I guess....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts