Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased this Colnago steel frame (see photos). It is from 1979, and I am assuming has a 126mm rear spacing. In the past, I have been able to fit up to 9-speed cassette/hub assemblies on 126mm steel bikes, but never 11-speed, such as is the case with Campagnolo Chorus 11, which is what I want to put on this frame.

Do you think this group will work on this frame?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Campy 9s, 10s and 11s hubs are all the same 130mm width. If you've been springing the frame for the 9s you can continue to do so. Or since I doubt you'll ever go back to 7s 126mm hubs, consider permanently spreading the frame to 130mm so wheel changes will be easier.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that FB.

Yeah, I've spread an '87 steel race frame with a ten-speed hub for about seven months now, and it's remained spread (the wonders of steel). I expect the same will happen with this Colnago.

Second question: will my Dura Ace cassettes - which are ten-speed - at all work with the Campy stuff? I figure "no," but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thx.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
dd74 said:
Thanks for that FB.

Yeah, I've spread an '87 steel race frame with a ten-speed hub for about seven months now, and it's remained spread (the wonders of steel). I expect the same will happen with this Colnago.

Second question: will my Dura Ace cassettes - which are ten-speed - at all work with the Campy stuff? I figure "no," but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thx.
The cog spacings of Shimano and Campag are different, and the chain widths are slightly different. So the answer is they will not work well together. This gets asked all the time, so search the forum for previous discussions.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Yes...once you spring the frame open to fit the 130mm hub and leave it alone for a few months, it will tend to keep the new spacing without any problems. That frame will be flexible enough to do the frame spreading with your hands; I'd be leery of trying to do it permanently via Sheldon Brown's 2x4 method or any other way.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
SilverStar said:
Yes...once you spring the frame open to fit the 130mm hub and leave it alone for a few months, it will tend to keep the new spacing without any problems. That frame will be flexible enough to do the frame spreading with your hands; I'd be leery of trying to do it permanently via Sheldon Brown's 2x4 method or any other way.
And also, one has to be careful to make sure that the frame alignment is not screwed up. I personally would just take it to a local steel frame builder or shop.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
This has been discussed "ad nauseum."

I would just remind our fellow "forumites" that when Shimano introduced 8 speed and its 130mm rear hub spacing, virtually every frame out there (mostly steel) was spaced 126mm.

Did Shimano recommend one sprint to the nearest shop or framebuilder to spread the rear dropouts? No! They simply put a slight bevel on the axle locknuts to facilitate pulling the wider hub into the frame.

I've been doing that on my 22 year old Falcon since the early '90's (both 8 and 10 speed Campy) and I've never had a problem.

Interestingly enough, some frames from the late '80's-early '90's were spaced 128mm to accommodate both 7 and 8 speed. My '91 Fuso is spaced 128.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
orange_julius said:
And also, one has to be careful to make sure that the frame alignment is not screwed up. I personally would just take it to a local steel frame builder or shop.
Seriously, it's not even that complicated -- shoehorn the wheel in and go about your business. This is NOT a shop task!!!

I've done this on several frames...we're talking 2mm of deflection per side. Frame/dropout alignment won't change unless you do something violent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts