Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some opinions on the ideal Campy Clincher to ride on daily basis. I will ride these on a Pinarello Prince with Campy 11 SR.

I live in Florida where it's generally flat and the roads are good. At times, I ride the Florida "Hills", which are very short and steep.

I look forward to your opinions and suggestions.

BTW, I weigh 175 lbs.

Thanks,

G

·
For daily drivers Campy Record hubs laced to any one of the many alloy clincher rims like an Open Pro, or Kinlin.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Performance was selling record hubs laced to open pros for $450. Another option is to eBay a set of campy neutrons.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Pinarello Prince ... 11sp Super Record ... heck, I would add some "bling" , Italian flair, and performance, and suggest the Eurus (1550g) or Shamal Ultra (1395g) clincher wheelsets.

For being "boutique" low-spoke count wheels, they are quite strong ... read the many positive user reviews on this website.

One of my ride partners has been on Eurus for about 2-3 years, he weighs high-180 lbs and is powerful ... never a broken spoke, and his wheels run true with very little maintenance.

Will be pricier than other options suggested, but not shockingly so. I just ordered Shamals from a UK retailer, and the total price (including delivery) was about US$ 820 (much cheaper than USA).

It's true you won't be able to walk-in to any random Performance Bike store and find replacement spokes ... but they're strong enough, and your 175 lb weight is modest enough, that you shouldn't have any issues.

Still, I'd consider buying a Campy "mini spoke kit" as backup ... about $50-60 for a set of 2 front , 2 rear drive-side, and 2 rear non-drive-side spokes & nipples.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you want great performance but not name or bling, get
Velocity Helios with Sapim X ray spokes, can be trued by anyone, stock parts and weigh
1380 g per pair.
I have a pair and I am in Florida, great wheels.
But if I had your bike I would get the Shamal Ultra like tom h said.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would definitely go with Neutrons...light and very strong. You can find these from many Euro dealers right now for less then $500.
EM3

·
Banned
976 Posts
+1 for sure. . .

em3 said:
I would definitely go with Neutrons...light and very strong. You can find these from many Euro dealers right now for less then $500.
EM3
Neutrons are absolutely fantastic and are the most durable wheelset I've EVER had, and I've had damn near everything except Lightweight Wheels. The Neutrons are light enough to race on, and yet have no issues with day to day trashing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had several

I am 180lbs. and have ridden Neutrons for years, they are possibly the ultimate everyday wheel, not at all flashy.
I have had Eurus for less time but am 100% happy w/them as well, high crosswinds can be an issue w/the wider spokes.
My favorite everyday is the Nuetron Ultra, slightly lighter than the Neutron w/partial carbon hub.
No Shamals yet.
Whatever way you go +1 on the mini spoke kit on hand at all times, especially if these are your only wheels.
Also, buy from the UK to save big $.
Record hubs w/Open Pros also can't be beat, you can do that domestically.
Also have had great experience w/Fulcrum products.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I own a set of Shamal Ultra's and I love them. I also have a set of Velocity's which are very great all around wheels, but I think the Shamal's look way cooler (with full campy components.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Only two choices: Shamal Ultra, or Fulcrum Racing Zeros. The black rim/red spokes Zeros would look terrific with your Prince's colors.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
I just noticed pics of O.P.'s beautiful bikes http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=165137

Since it was previously equipped (or maybe still is), with Bora Ultra tubular wheels, maybe also consider the Hyperon Ultra (1350g), all-carbon, low profile clinchers??

I don't have sufficient knowledge of these wheels to comment on their strength and durability, used as everyday wheels ...

As a Plus, O.P. won't have to swap brake pads when switching between Bora and alloy wheelsets, he can just leave carbon-specific pads always installed ;-)

Were it not for the desire to stay all-Campy, the Reynolds MV32C-UL (1325g) are also very nice carbon clincher wheelsets. They seem fairly durable, judging from comments at the WeightWeenie forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts