Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two bikes -- one Campy Record and one Dura Ace. My powertap SL wheel is set up with Campy 10-spd rear cogs...I put the wheel on my D/A bike and it worked okay, just a bit noisy and a little sloppy on the shifts. Would it work better if I put a Campy chain on the D/A bike?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
unlikely..

The reason it shifts lousy is because the spacing is wider on the campy cassette (4.12mm versus 3.95mm). To get the best possible shifting, the RD should be aligned as accurately as possible in the middle of the cassette. Then, as shifts are made toward either end, the error will be split equally between up shifts and down shifts. Unless you install a J-tek shiftmate to correct the error in the cable pull, the derailleur misalignment will be good in the middle of the cassette, becoming worse after every shift, since the error is accumulative.

The new campy ultra narrow chain is basically the same width as a shimano chain. Using a wider chain usually makes the RD adjustment more sensitive, since there is less clearance between the chain and cogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.