Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering the purchase of one of the campy aluminum compact cranks for my old chesini.

Veloce is 10 bucks cheaper and 15 grams lighter than Centaur (the second part seems wrong -- or at least surprising-- to me), so it's the front runner.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Specifically

Do I really need to convert to compact-specific front derailleur? There appears to be room in the slot to drop down the existing front (braze on).

Is a new rear derailleur also in my future? I wonder if the 34 tooth inner is going to create a chain wrap problem with my old dura ace rear.

Compatibility issues are irrelevant at this point, since I'm friction shifting on a maillard freewheel. I'm really just looking for a lower climbing gear on the cheap, though the idea of upgrading everything is appealing, except for the price.

Thanks

Bryce

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Veloce compact fitted to my steel Casati. Standard Mirage front mech and 9 speed ergo levers. Rear mech is also Mirage. It all works fine,

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the Centaur 50x34 compact crank. I use a regular ten-speed braze-on derailleur. It slides down far enough so that it fits the 50 tooth large chain ring. Everything shifts fine. You absolutely don't need the compact-specific front derailleur.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-up

Thanks. Very helpful and reassuring comments from both of you..

Is there anything about Centaur that should make me consider it more carefully -- ie, is there something I'm missing.

I'm not concerned about having a complete gruppo, since none of my other parts match each other anyway, but if there is a real advantage, I'd like to know about it.

b

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went from using the Chorus 53x39 to the Centaur Compact, and had to get a new bottom bracket since it uses 111mm instead of 102mm. Besides the obvious benefit of a lower climbing gear, too me (YMMV) there was no difference in the quality of the cranks. My lowest gear went from a 40 inch to 35.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts