Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding the Brasstown Bald Buster century next week and purchased a Veloce compact crankset. I was thinking that I could use my existing Chorus BB, but the instruction manual calls for a 111 BB instead of the 102 I currently have in the frame.

Will it be okay to run it on the shorter BB, or will the chain line be too far off? Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
won't work..

Centaur and lower level double cranks use 111mm spindle lengths. Chorus and Record use 102mm. The chainline will be 4.5mm too far to the left, the "Q-factor" (tread width) will be reduced by 9mm and you may find that a crankarm or the little ring hits the frame.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too bad. I thought it would be so easy to just swap out the cranks for those few events when I need lower gears. Oh well, I've got the 111 bb from an old 9 speed triple that I can use.

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
491 Posts
you can use that crank with a 102mm bb, but what will probably happen is that when it's cross chained (little ring little cog) the chain will rub on the big ring. Because the crank is not spaced out far enough, i have seen that happen before. It still works, but in the end it's not the right thing to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.