Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Fuji has a 10 speed Campy Centaur RD with a presumed Centaur 12-23 cassette. It also came with some oem AClass wheels which are falling apart due to my 200# carcus.

I recently bought a set of used low miles 2008 Campy Zonda wheels that have a Chorus UD 10 speed cassette installed.

My friendly local neighborhood mechanic swapped in the Zonda wheels was tuning in the hubs and spokes and mentioned the shifting being off around mid-cassette that he couldn't dial in. His notion is the Chorus cassette spocket spacing does not align with the Centaur RD and they may not be compatible. Either that, or the person I bought the used wheels from may have assembled the Chorus cassette incorrectly at some point, or used an incorrect spacer ring.

Can someone confirm if a 10 speed Centaur RD is compatible with a 10 speed Chorus hub?

Thanks
Ken

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Should be just fine. Campy uses the same spacing on all of their cassettes. I am not sure that the spacers are wrong since they are the same size in the middle, but maybe a cog is backwards and that might be throwing off the shifting from dialing in. Could also be time to replace cables and housing.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Yes, Campy is "mix 'n match" between groups -- I suspect there's some other issue at play.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great suggestion on the flipped sprocket. I'll ask him to check it out.

With some further googling, I discovered there are 3 different spacers in the Chorus cassette.

Three, 2.4 mm "F" spacers are employed to separate the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th position cogs.

A 5 mm alloy "i" spacer separates the 6th and 7th position cog clusters. A 3.9 mm "L" spacer is used to separate the 8th and 9th position cog clusters.

There is a great diagram and further info here:

http://branfordbike.com/product/campagnolo-record-chorus-10-speed-spacers-894.htm

We're going to tackle it again tomorrow and try to determine if something is installed incorrectly and install the old Centaur cassette back on for comparison.

Thanks
Kenreau

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes the Chorus cassette uses 3 different spacers. It's not so obvious when assembling it but once you get it all together you will definitely see the difference in the spacing if they are not in the right postions.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
spookyload said:
Should be just fine. Campy uses the same spacing on all of their cassettes. I am not sure that the spacers are wrong since they are the same size in the middle, but maybe a cog is backwards and that might be throwing off the shifting from dialing in. Could also be time to replace cables and housing.
you ever tried to put a campy cog on backwards? there's a keyed spline that the cog can only go on to in the correct orientation.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
thoughts..

After verifying the correct spacer locations, check the RD hanger alignment. Probably the most overlooked bit of tuning. You need the Park alignment tool to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts