Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the oldest Campy rear mech I can use on a nine speed cassette? Most of the "only campy" or "campy only" or "death to shimano" or "cappuccino can kick green tea's A$$" sites don't give specific measurements. I would love to find a site that has a table of lateral distance traveled/largest compatible rear cog/biggest compatible front ring drop/etc. for different model derailleurs (all manufacturers) for compatibility studies. I.E. I mix stuff up all the time but rely on trial and error rather than empirical knowledge. There are a lot of sites that come close but none that I have found have all the info I need to build my monsters. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Just as an aside, I keep track of all my bicycle projects and lists of needed parts for specific frames including dimensions of all the major components with a little Cheap ShareWare Program called "Automotive Wolf". I started using it for my motorcycles and thought it might be useful for the bicycles. I can create a record of all the changes through time for any particular bike frame. That let's me easily remember and get back to original if necessary. Plus it's a handy place to keep all the serial numbers and specs so I don't have to measure every other week.

Plus, when I go to swap meets I just print out a maintenance record or parts list for each bike and I know what to look for and what dimensions I need for say...a specific handlebar stem, or what frame clamp size I need on a front deraillerur.

Anyone have a better method they'd like to share.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recently set up a Super Record rear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette and found that the jockey wheel cage would contact the spokes when trying to shift in to the largest cog. I wound up removing a cog and shimming the cassette away from the spokes. I am using this with Campy friction shifters and it works well. I would imagine you could get the same results with a Nuovo Record derailleur, and you may have different results with different wheels/hubs. Mine is a 126mm Shimano 105 hub. Normally used with a 7 speed cassette - but the cassette I used is an Ultegra 10 speed that I had laying around. BTW, the largest cog is a 28t.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
First generation Ergo rear deraileurs (I have a '92 Record rear working with a Veloce QS 10) will work with 9 and 10 speed Ergo. I have retro-fitted 8 speed Ergo to 9 as well as using new 9 and 10 speed Ergo with older deraileurs. Of the 4 bikes with various Campy and Sachs components, none have a 100% dedicated group but they all shift flawlessly. There's Shimano and SRAM cassettes on a few wheels and I've lost track of what chains I use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.