Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's blue loctite on my crank bolts. ('04 Chorus) Is this an OEM factory applied thing or would it be the LBS?

Also, would it be a problem to remove it and just use grease when re-installing?

thanks!

:thumbsup:

· Registered
727 Posts
DERF2K said:
There's blue loctite on my crank bolts. ('04 Chorus) Is this an OEM factory applied thing or would it be the LBS?

Also, would it be a problem to remove it and just use grease when re-installing?

thanks!

:thumbsup:
The factory does install the blue Loctite on cranks bolts, as my rare 2003 Record carbon crank has it also.

You DO NOT want to replace Loctite with grease, if the factory specifies this!!! The purpose of the Loctite is to prevent the bolt from loosening, so grease is an absolute no-no.

While we're on the subject, a lot of guys use grease for the crank spindles. Just get a jar of anti-seize from any automotive supply store. That jar will last you and three other buddies a lifetime. Get the copper anti-seize if you got a Ti bike, as it's the best to use when installing a BB in a Ti frame. I use anti-seize everywhere I don't use Loctite: BB, crank spindle, pedals, cleats. It will prevent corrosion and seized bolts. Kinda messy to use though.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
it's not loctite..

There is a thread locking material on the threads from the factory, but it's some sort of plastic material, not Loctite. Loctite is a liquid that must be applied just before assembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.