Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new set of chain rings for my 08 compact centaur cranks. I went to put them on last night to discover that they don't fit properly on the cranks. Completely tightening down the bolts results in warping the ring laterally. I was a bit surprised because the chain rings in question are campagnolo record 50/36 110mm rings. I took the cranks to three shops and they are not warped at all; the rings just don't fit on properly.

Has anyone else out there heard of this? I was told that I need specifically centaur chain rings. Before I send back the rings I'd like to make sure of this is true.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Specific rings

chrisz411 said:
I was a bit surprised because the chain rings in question are campagnolo record 50/36 110mm rings. I took the cranks to three shops and they are not warped at all; the rings just don't fit on properly.

Has anyone else out there heard of this? I was told that I need specifically centaur chain rings. Before I send back the rings I'd like to make sure of this is true.
Record/Chorus are different from Centaur/Veloce in many ways, chainrings included.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Note- Campy compact chainrings are not true 110BCD rings. Of the 5 bolts, one is slightly outboard from the others, making Campy "110BCD" different from true 110BCD.

Ostensibly they do this to ensure proper orientation for the shifting gates, though I don't understand why they can't simply use a timing mark as they have for so many years on their 135BCD rings.

BTW- I don't know if this propriety pattern is in all models of compact cranks, nor what year it started, but it's something you have to be aware of when replacing compact chainrings.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
They want to make it impossible for people to install Shimano 110mm rings.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Specialites TA makes compact rings (the Nerius line) that fit the 110/112 Campy CT pattern (the oddball hole is behind the crankarm, IIRC). Stronglight might make them, too, if you really don't want to buy Campy rings. I remember reading that all Campy CT cranks had the same 110/112 BCD pattern, but that the Fulcrum compact cranks had a standard 110mm BCD all around.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts