Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be ordering the remaining parts to switch my 06 Poprad over to campy, but now need to decide on what crank to use. Im putting centaur rd, fd, and shifters on the poprad, but Im unsure about the crank. I haven't been able to find smaller outer chainrings for campy cranks, so are they available? I'd prefer to just use this crank, as it would save some money and I like the look of the silver. Thanks.

· Registered
87 Posts
It's my understanding that the smallest ring you can get for campy is 39. probikekit.com has campy centaur compact cranks for $102, which would give a wide range of ring choices. Or you can go over to cyclocrossworld.com and get a 42 tooth single ring kit.

I've been having some thoughts about the need for a steel framed, italian gruppo bike, myself. Please post some pics when your done.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
For the standard 135 road BCD, yes, 39t is the smallest. But in a good news-bad news way, Campy now makes a compact crank that supposedly uses a proprietary BCD- that means not all sizes might be available, and if they are will prob be relatively expensive. You could also try to run a triple, using the middle and inner rings (if you want a real small inner) with a bash ring on the outer... I think at least one person here has done that.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
This'll be a longshot, but look around for a Campy Euclid crankset--they date back to the ill-fated Campy MTB groups, and had the standard 110/74 BCD (can you believe Campy actually did something compatible with other companies?). I've got one on my Poprad, running 48/36 RaceFace rings; it's not the swankest or lightest crankset around, but it is genuine Campagnolo....

· vegan wrench
160 Posts
FatTireFred said:
Campy now makes a compact crank that supposedly uses a proprietary BCD- that means not all sizes might be available, and if they are will prob be relatively expensive.
only chorus and record compact cranks use the proprietary size. centaur is regular 110bcd.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
bloodthirstylust said:
only chorus and record compact cranks use the proprietary size. centaur is regular 110bcd.

It's supposed to be different, from QBP catalog:

"Campagnolo's Compact chainrings use a proprietary BCD (bolt circle diameter) and will not fit other 110mm BCD cranksets"

Whether it's completely true or whether you can make a standard 110 work or not I have no idea... the Record inner is a 74, but I don't know whether was made to not work with standard rings... regardless, the biggest 74 BCD rings are typically too small, like 30 or 32

· vegan wrench
160 Posts
FatTireFred said:
It's supposed to be different, from QBP catalog:

"Campagnolo's Compact chainrings use a proprietary BCD (bolt circle diameter) and will not fit other 110mm BCD cranksets"

Whether it's completely true or whether you can make a standard 110 work or not I have no idea... the Record inner is a 74, but I don't know whether was made to not work with standard rings... regardless, the biggest 74 BCD rings are typically too small, like 30 or 32
ok i actually wasn't quite correct with my first post, sorry about that. the only campy compact cranks that use the proprietary bcd are the carbon ones. the aluminum ones are normal 110mm.

also, the only way that the carbon ones are different is that the bolt that connects to crankarm itself is at the equivalent of 112mm rather than 110, so you could probably adapt most chainrings to fit with a bit of matrial removal.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
A cranky addendum...

If not the Euclid here (which'll happily take any 110BCD rings AND snug right up on that Campy bottom bracket), you might consider the Sugino Swiss Cross, also with a 110BCD and supplied with 48/34 rings--if it won't kill you to go outside the family, so to speak. The Chorus and Record bits on this Bianchi don't seem to object, and the price is more than reasonable.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
Steel 'crossers don't necessarily need Campy...but it don't hurt none.

'01 Poprad with Chorus/Sachs Ergo, Chorus derailleurs, Euclid cranks....

'99 Bianchi RC 'crosser with Record Ergo, Chorus derailleurs, Sugino cranks and :eek: Ultegra hubs/XT cassette. :blush2:

· Registered
842 Posts
I can verify that the Centaur Aluminum CT crank is 110 BCD. I set it up on my wife's bike for single ring with Spot 110 mm guards and the 34 that came with the crank. The 34 is perfect for her for the time being.

Specialties TA makes 135 mm BCD rings in 46 tooth. A 39/46 is fine for cross. I prefer the single 42 tooth ring, but that's just me. Here is a link for the TA rings in different sizes.

http://www.starbike.com/php/suchen.php?page=1&lang=en&Hersteller=Specialites+TA&q=135

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.