Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know whether a Campy compact-specific front derailleur will work with a standard 53/39 crankset? I see that the recommended max chainring size is 50, but I'm curious as to whether that is just marketing or if it's a real limitation.

I ask because I'm building up my new race sled and happen to have an 07 Chorus CT FD that I could use.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Of course it will work, but it won't work well.

You'll either get it set up to shift well going up, but not down - or vise versa.

The curvature of the outer plate doesn't match that of a standard chainring, so you'll end up setting it up too high with a lot of chain rub on the tail of the derailleur, or too low where the tail won't clear the big ring when upshifting.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Maybe, maybe not

ThasFace said:
Anyone know whether a Campy compact-specific front derailleur will work with a standard 53/39 crankset? I see that the recommended max chainring size is 50, but I'm curious as to whether that is just marketing or if it's a real limitation.
Some will tell you that it won't work well, while others say it works fine. The same applies to using a standard derailleur with a compact. Lots of people have no problems with a standard derailleur and compact crank. Few people have gone the other way, because there aren't that many compact derailleurs around. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.