Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while transfering parts from one road bike to another the LBS informs me that i have to purchase a braze on front derailleur, the one i have is a clamp on. i agree. when i go to pick up the bike i'm surprised at the dull finish of the chorus cage.
the bike has Centaur on it. i was hoping it was going to have a chrome finish similar to this;
It shifts fine. and after doing some on line research i discover that campy went to this finish to save weight. i think it looks terrible, must have saved 2 grams. Looks to to be built from scrapes of a soup can. end of whine...........

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
You're right

There's little question that your analysis is correct. Campy has no idea what they're doing, and likely did make the front derailleur from soup cans. You should contact them and advise them of the error of their ways. They probably don't realize how badly they've screwed up the derailleur and will be thankful for your insight. :)

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
That's what you get for being a tightwad and not buying the Record model.

At least it's made with discarded carbon fiber from an F-117 stealth fighter jet.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
The centaur (and older chorus) have steel cages that have been chromed. The new Chorus looks to be an anodised alloy cage.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's dull for a reason. It's not steel like the prvious one. It has that finish on it to resist abrasion and give the chain a slicker surface to grate against. If it's lighter, great, but I don't think that was the main design goal.

brewster

·
Registered
491 Posts
who cares

I cant honestly say i have ever worried about what my front der looks like. If it bothers you that bad Im sure you can ebay a chrome front der that matches the rest of the bike, or by some chrome spray paint and make the chrous der look chrome. Otherwise take solace in the fact that you have one of the best campy front der's made and just go ride. Because everytime you shift the front der Im sure your not going to think Man if only the cage were chrome. Hey at least it's not anodized purple, although that could be done???

·
Tommasini
121 Posts
Yep the chorus cage is aluminum

The chorus cage is anodized aluminun. Nearly the same weight as the carbon record - just not the bling factor of carbon. If I recall the alu version is many grams lighter than the prior steel version. Shimano started that trend when they initiated the idea of putting aluminum cages on their front ders - Campy took it a step furhter with (at least for 10 speed) the use of the plastic wear plates reduces wear on the alu....

·
Registered
324 Posts
From my experience with cassettes, the Chorus finish stays much cleaner than chromed ones do. I'll take the Chorus finish...

·
Registered
919 Posts
If you like the chromed finish on the Centaur, buy one. It works just as well and weighs about the same. You can buy a nice bottle of wine with the difference....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts