Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 Campy 8 spd setup with ergo levers and Record deraillers.

Going to buy new front chainrings, the freewheel (yes freewheel) cogs are in great shape and I'm going to get a new chain.

The last of the Sidi chains I had cached are gone.

I can pick up another Sidi on Ebay but is there another current chain that'll work with that shifter/derailler set up?

Will any of the newer chains work on my oldie but goodie drivetrain?

Thanks

Keith

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
sidi made chains? just get a sram (old sachs/sedis) 8-spd chain

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FatTireFred said:
sidi made chains? just get a sram (old sachs/sedis) 8-spd chain
Hey FTF ----

Those old Sidis were not only the least expensive, they seemed to last as long any chain out there before they started stretching.

Will one of those hollow pin Sram chains work?

Why won't a 9 or 10 speed chain work?

Thank for the help.

Keith

·
Registered
505 Posts
i'll 2nd the sram chain. i've been running 8s campy on a bike forever, and the improvement in shifting was dramatic when i ran out of c8 chains and went to sram.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
thevalvesource said:
Hey FTF ----

Those old Sidis were not only the least expensive, they seemed to last as long any chain out there before they started stretching.

Will one of those hollow pin Sram chains work?

Why won't a 9 or 10 speed chain work?

Thank for the help.

Keith

9/10 = too narrow. are 8s hollow-pin? if they are I wouldn't bother.. the main diffs b/w the diff sachs 8s chains are (used to be?) color of the side plates. I think it was 9s when they added cutouts (slightly lighter). sachs 8s can prob be had <$15

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The 9sp Campy Record chain works just fine. I've got an 8sp set up on two of my bikes and that's what I'm using.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Do you use a Sachs 8 speed freewheel and a Sachs rear hub?
Campy, Sachs, and Shimano 7 speed freewheels will also shift well with a Campy 8 speed system (just remember to lock out one gear) They all have 5mm spacing between cogs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Incorrect Advice?

An LBS here in town assured me that the SRAM PC1070 10 speed chain would work OUTSTANDINGLY with my 8 speed sachs freewheel and Campy Super Record chainrings (approx 1992 or so).

What do you all think --- ?

Since they were on sale and were light (I'm old and just trying to stay out of the way), I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Too bad I can't find one of those old Regina hollow pin chains. They were the hot ticket...

·
Registered
505 Posts
doubtful. 10s will be too narrow.

unrelated: i broke a regina hollow pin back around 1990 during an uphill sprint. ouch. i don't recommend them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts