Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking a the Egro install instructions, it basically say to install the egros so the lever are in level with the bottom drop of the bars.

Ok, I understand thsi, but other on the board said don't tape bars until I position the Ergos in the spot I want. Would going ligher or lower affect the shifting like the manual says?

Should I just go with what the instructions says?

Thanks!

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
I've been using...

Ergo levelers since the early '90's and I've always set them up so they are in level with the bottom drop of the bars. I also set my bars so the bottom drop of the bars is perpendicular to the head tube angle.

Going higher or lower will not affect the mechcanical performance of the shifter levers themselves. Going higher or lower can only affect the way you interface with them. If they are set up in such an extreme way as to be difficult for you the use then yes that would affect the shifting wouldn't it?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ofcourse...

But the manual says it will aftect the shifters themselves.

You know how some people prefer the hoods just a little higher on the bar as others prefer slighty lower. Just from the manual it sounds like if they are not in the perfect condtion, they will not operate properley.

My Shimano shifters were set-up just a hair higher than the bottom of the drop.
But since tis will be my first time with Campy on my bike, I will just follow the instructions and level with the drops. if I need to move them slighty, it's just soem bar tape wasted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
How to do it...

Setting the brake hood at the same angle as the bottom of the drops is NOT required and in many cases, totally undesirable. The picture of the bars that has been posted is a shallow drop nonanatomic bend. While there;s nothing wrong with rotating the bar ends perpendicular to the heaad tube, it's about a 17 degree angle which is pretty extreme. I'd never angle the brake hood up 17 degrees above horizontal. I have my Salsa Poco bars rotated up about as much as the bars in the picture (it's hard to tell becasue the ends are only about 2inch long), but I have only a very small upward angle on the brake hood (probably 5 degrees at most).

What is important is to first adjust the angle of the anatomic portion of the drops (if it applies to your bars) to a comfortable position. THEN you can adjust the top of the brake hood to be level at the minimum or preferably angled up a few degrees.

IMO, it would be unusual for the ergo lever angle to affect the shifting , unless you create an extemely sharp bend in the cable housing, just as it exits the ergo lever. As long as there's a reasonably smooth transition of the cable onto the bar top, you should be OK.

It's still wise to ride the bike before taping the bars, particularly since you don't have experience in setting up ergo levers.

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Just from the manual it sounds like if they are not in the perfect condtion, they will not operate properley.

I've noticed Campagnolo's instructions often make out their products will spontaneously fail if not installed in the exact manner they set out, which leads me to believe they have a very keen sense of irony.

Install the levers where you like them; not all bars are alike, so level with the bottom on one bar might be way too low, whereas on another it might be just right. They won't explode. I promise. :D

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks as always guys...

I am finally learning how to build my road bike back-up. MTB do seem easier for me.

C-40, Can I use my old STI cables to cut my Ergo cables right length?
Or will the STI be too long or too short? Since the both Campy cables are taped to the bars will the need to be longer or shorter?

Should I just start from scratch? Man I would hate to cut them too short buy accicent...

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
start from scratch..

Are you ue you're up to this task? There are no short cuts. The cables have to by firmly seated in the ergo lever first, then you work your way to the frame mounted cable stop or brake. Better to cut too long and have to shorten later. Try the park tool website for some pictures.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! On more question if you don't mind....

The shfiter and brake cables are taped to the bar correct?
That's all cables? seems a bit much.

I have the park Book and Zinn's and neither does a good job of showing/explaining this.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The reason Campy manuals describe it the way they do is probably because they have the lawyers read the copy before it's done. They want to cover their a$$ in case somebody has a accident because of some goofy installation job.

brewster

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I go it...

I got it going. Just need to fine tune the shifting. I guess i explained it wrong when I said 4 cables ;).
A little harder than Shimano, but no bad. I had a neighbor who has experience with Campy to help.

The hoods feel sweet in my hands! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts