Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Air Force
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of Campagnolo Electron's for almost nothing but the front rim has cracks around where the spoke goes into the rim. 16 of the 22 spokes show signs or have bad cracks but everything else is fine. As you can see from the pictures the wheels have hidden nipples and the rims about 20mm deep.

Is there a rim just like this on the market or will I have to get it custom made. Or does anyone have an Electron front wheel that they want to sell? You can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
838 Posts
I hate to say this but the reason you got them for next to nothing is because that rim is going to cost close to what a entry level pair of wheel would cost. Campy rims are extremely expensive and no other company makes a 22 hole rim that you could use in its place.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
The rant

Campy wheels are well made and durable, but this is the problem with boutique wheels - they can be very expensive to maintain. If they had a standard spoke pattern, then you could use any brand of rim and rebuild them in a couple of hours. As it is, you're going to have to send them back to Campy USA or find something used where you can swap the rims. I hope you didn't pay much at all for these wheels, and for sure I hope that the seller told you about the cracks. They are toast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look up Nimble wheels. I don't have a set, but everyone who has them won't shut up. I called them last year to talk about wheels and they said they could custom drill my rim for as many spokes as I wanted. This may be a cheaper way to go. You won't get to keep the Campy rim, but the Nimbles are light and strong, and probably a lot cheaper. Hope that helps.

TB

·
Air Force
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already looked up Nimble and was ready to order but when I talked to my shop they said that the crack on the hub (see pictures) I may structural. I'm not 100% sure that it would affect anything but who really knows. Nimble also has the hidden nipples on the Spider rims so it would have matched up nice. If you guys think that the hub crack isn't structural please let me know because I am a fairly light rider at 140lbs and would just use these for group rides. I am trying to get my hands on a pair of the Performance Titan wheels but everyone that they receive has problems. On had a dent in the rim and another's hub fell apart. I have been training on tubulars for the few years that I have been ridding and decided to make the change to the clinchers for training.

The rear wheel makes the money I paid for the wheelset worth it. I purchased them with knowledge of the cracks but I was hoping they weren't so bad. I love the way these wheels look and if I do get a new rim I would try to carry over the decal onto the new rim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.