Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, purchased Campy EPS Record when it first came out. Dependability has not been good. When installed power unit failed replaced under warranty, then a rear der. failed, then 1 month before 3 year warranty ran out front der. failed. Now front der. failed yesterday and no more warranty. Get yellow light and clicking from front der. just like last one that failed. Not to happy with Campy EPS. Have ridden Campy my whole life and all my tools spare parts wheels (Campy) are all geared for Campy. When it works it is flawless but these constant failures are maddening and expensive. Really thinking about switching to Shimano Di2 that's how unhappy I am right now. Before I purchased EPS I thought about dependability but said hey it has been in development for years what could go wrong, well fast forward and I will tell you what can go wrong. This is not Campy bashing but a reminder to people who are on the fence between cable and electronic and something to think about. Frame is electronic only so I have no choice right now. Also some people have had no issues at all go figure. Any other EPS owners want to chime in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Everything has flaws and that is why there is a warranty. Peoples expectations are much higher than they were 20 years ago.

That said, I have had up two 3 EPS systems. 1 SR and 2 Athena. The original SR power unit failed within days of installing it. Campy had a new one within a week. One Athena groupset was stolen with the bike. The other one works fine. I have upgraded all to the v2 power unit [for looks].

I have kept up with the EPS threads and rarely there is a failure. Go ahead and get a Di2, but there is someone just like you out there saying he/she will no longer support Shimano and by Campagnolo.

Sorry to hear your problems, but you just got bad luck I suspect.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1Butcher I understand what your saying in all about there is another guy with Shimano saying the same thing but you have to realize the first front der. was replaced last summer so this new one was only used half of last summer and the last month or so. Not much riding was done in winter. Also, I shift front rings twice every ride from big to small and from small back to big for one step hill I ride. I know the front auto trims but saying expectations are higher now a days makes no sense considering the use of the part. Personally I feel it should last many thousand of miles considering the money for the part and its actual use during those miles, not much in my eyes to ask for. Right now I just feel if I buy another der. It will fail again so I want to limit the aggravation and wasting money on inferior parts. I will first call Campy America to see if they will help a long time Campy supporter then decide from here.

·
Registered
440 Posts
And I get what you are saying. But, the internet is vast and I do not see a lot of any ESP failures [except the v1 power supply].

I'm just another user like you, but I have not had any issues. I have not ridden much this year, but many miles the previous years. Rain, cold, hot, it just works for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts