Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a Campy Eurus 06 from 11speed.com which has a very good deal. However, my bike setup with full Shimano, and 11speed.com has Campy Eurus with shimano body as one of the option. Just wondering whether it will be different in performance and any side-effect by doing that? Assume both are the same, Eurus with shimano body means I can just put shimano cassette without any modification, right?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Campagnolo HG freehub

keang24 said:
I'm thinking about buying a Campy Eurus 06 from 11speed.com which has a very good deal. However, my bike setup with full Shimano, and 11speed.com has Campy Eurus with shimano body as one of the option. Just wondering whether it will be different in performance and any side-effect by doing that? Assume both are the same, Eurus with shimano body means I can just put shimano cassette without any modification, right?
Campagnolo makes an HG (HyperGlide) version of their freehub body, which will work on any Campagnolo hub with an oversized aluminum axle (such as Record, Chorus & Centaur, and many of their pre-built wheels). There are two differences between the HG freehub and the standard freehub:

1- The HG freehub will take Hyperglide compatible cassettes and lockrings (Shimano, SRAM, etc.) instead of Campagnolo compatible cassettes and lockrings. Since a Campagnolo 10spd cassette is actually wider than a Shimano 10spd cassette, there is plenty of room to fit a Shimano cassette on a Campagnolo hub.

2 - The HG freehub is made out of steel instead of aluminum. This makes it about 40 or 50 grams heavier than the Campagnolo compatible version.

The HG freehub uses the same bearings and pawls as the standard freehub, so in all other ways the performance should be equivalent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark McM said:
Campagnolo makes an HG (HyperGlide) version of their freehub body, which will work on any Campagnolo hub with an oversized aluminum axle (such as Record, Chorus & Centaur, and many of their pre-built wheels). There are two differences between the HG freehub and the standard freehub:

1- The HG freehub will take Hyperglide compatible cassettes and lockrings (Shimano, SRAM, etc.) instead of Campagnolo compatible cassettes and lockrings. Since a Campagnolo 10spd cassette is actually wider than a Shimano 10spd cassette, there is plenty of room to fit a Shimano cassette on a Campagnolo hub.

2 - The HG freehub is made out of steel instead of aluminum. This makes it about 40 or 50 grams heavier than the Campagnolo compatible version.

The HG freehub uses the same bearings and pawls as the standard freehub, so in all other ways the performance should be equivalent.
Thank you for your response. So, if I get Eurus with HG freehub (shimano body) which will fit shimano cassettes (I believe only on 10-speed cassette, right?). Beside 40 grams heavier than campy version, everything else should be similar. Another question, do you have a hard time putting tires on campy wheel, especially with Michelin ProRace2? I have heard that alots.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
keang24 said:
Thank you for your response. So, if I get Eurus with HG freehub (shimano body) which will fit shimano cassettes (I believe only on 10-speed cassette, right?). Beside 40 grams heavier than campy version, everything else should be similar. Another question, do you have a hard time putting tires on campy wheel, especially with Michelin ProRace2? I have heard that alots.
I spoke a little too soon. Campagnolo actually has two Shimano compatible freehubs. The WH-KX1/KX2 standard 8/9/10spd Hyperglide-C spline pattern, and is compatible with all 8spd, 9spd and 10spd Hyperglide cassettes. This is the freehub that is made out of steel, and weighs 40 grams more than the standard aluminum Campagnolo 8/10spd freehub.

Campagnolo recently started making the WH-KX10 Shimano compatible freehub. This freehub has the same 10spd-only spline pattern as found on the Dura-Ace 10spd FH-7800 rear hub. This freehub is only compatible with Shimano 10spd cassettes. Because the WH-KX10 is aluminum, it is almost identical in weight to the standard Campagnolo 9/10spd freehub.

Campagnolo wheels are available with either WH-KX1/KX2 8/9/10spd Shimano compatible freehub, or the WH-KX10 10spd Shimano compatible freehub (but not both). Which wheels have which can be found on the Campagnolo Wheels Specifications chart. The '06 Eurus have the WH-KX10 10spd only Shimano freehub, so it will weigh the same as the standard Campagnolo version of the '06 Eurus, and perform similarly in all other ways as well. The 3 freehub bodies (WH-KX1/KX2 8/9/10spd Shimano, WH-KX10 10spd Shimano, and standard 9/10spd Campagnolo) are interchangeable, if you want to retrofit a different freehub at a later date.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
keang24 said:
[...] Another question, do you have a hard time putting tires on campy wheel, especially with Michelin ProRace2? I have heard that alots.
well, it's all relative. for me personally, i found it difficult at first. but once it's on and stretches, it's pretty easy to remove/re-install.

boon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.