Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2500 miles on Mirage QS 10 Sp shifters and compact FD. Have to press the thumb lever twice to get the FD to move chain to small CR. First push just trims the FD but I can't push it any further until I push again. In contrast, on my 2001 Chorus levers, I can go all the way through the clicks with one push and the FD moves to the low position. Why doesn't the Mirage work the same way?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding is that Escape is a rear derailleur characteristic. The Mirage levers that I have are QS which, of course, is different from Chorus (even old ones like mine) but why would I need to double push the QS Mirage levers to get the FD to go to the low position?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
normal...

canamdad said:
My understanding is that Escape is a rear derailleur characteristic. The Mirage levers that I have are QS which, of course, is different from Chorus (even old ones like mine) but why would I need to double push the QS Mirage levers to get the FD to go to the low position?
The 2007 and newer Centaur and lower level shifter use the escape mechanism. It's a downgrade that was moved up from Xenon. This makes the thumb button work entirely different than Chorus or Record. The thumb button is supposed to have a trim click, which would quite often be used before the shift was made to the little ring. In this case, one more click on the thumb button would then execute the shift to the little ring. It has nothing to do with the QS feature, that affects the operation of the left finger lever, causing it to engage the cable more quickly. A QS FD requires a little less effort to operate.

Haven't you also noticed that the right thumb button also only moves one click at a time, instead of up to nine with one push?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C-40: Yes, of course, the difference in RD downshifting is readily apparent. I didn't, however, realize that they had changed the way the FD shifts and you can't push all the way through. It doesn't seem like a great "feature" but thanks for the explanation because looks like that's the way it's supposed to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.