Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a few Record 10speed freehubs, and would like to know if anyone (C-40?) has any recommendations on which lube or type of lube to drip into the lube port on the freehub splines.

Maybe 90wt gear oil or something?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
none..

If you're rebuilding your hub, you take it completely apart, remove the old grease wiht mineral spirits and use new grease. I've never used the oil/grease ports. Campy has even quite installing them on newer hubs.

As for the grease to use, there are many that will work, just not something too heavy. I used Park Polylube 1000.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
same answer...

As far as I know, injecting grease into that hole just squirts it around the axle, where it will eventually get to the pawls. It's not needed and not included on newer hubs.

Since you've got the cassette body off, squirt some grease in there and see where it comes out. If it just comes out into the large bore for the axle, it won't do any good. There are two cartridge bearings in the cassette body, but I believe they are sealed and essentially considered unserviceable. Although I know they can be pressed out and replaced with new ones, Campy does not sell the bearings as a repair part, only the entire cassette body.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares08_B_1007.pdf

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
dead flag blues said:
Thanks C-40, you're the man. I should have been more clear, please see below.
Disclaimer: I am not the man.

For b), I use a heavy oil so that it will cling. Since I live in the rural PNW and own two chainsaws, I use bar oil on the pawls of my freehubs. I like to hear my freehubs.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

C-40, have you pressed out these sealed bearings in the freehub body? The outboard bearing on one hub is a tad sloppy, and a new freehub assy retails for $180..

bigbill, I live in Portland, and these wheels are destined for cyclocross and my rain bike. I don't have any bar oil, but do have some leftover Bardahl 20w-50 from the Ducati, that may do the trick!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info..

I have never done this myself, just read a posting from someone who has. As long as you can get the old bearings out, it's simple to measure them and figure out the standard replacement size, but if they are pressed in with too much interference, you could scrap the cassette body. You generally have to press on the inner bore to remove and if the inner parts comes out, leaving the outer race, the body is probably scrap.

I'd try this shop for better pricing.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=list&Category=481&Brand=60&type=T

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
b) Very light oil, machine oil, 3-1 etc. heavier oils (Phil's tenacious, saw oil) get too sticky when cold. Sticky pawls...not a good idea.

a) I've re-packed the grease with an injector (Le Tour Whisper White from Branford).

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noted. I'm not freaking out about putting new bearings in the freehub yet, esp since it will be used on a rain bike, but it's good to know it could be done.

Good find on the aebike link.. I ordered a Centaur UT crank from them last week!

C-40 said:
I have never done this myself, just read a posting from someone who has. As long as you can get the old bearings out, it's simple to measure them and figure out the standard replacement size, but if they are pressed in with too much interference, you could scrap the cassette body. You generally have to press on the inner bore to remove and if the inner parts comes out, leaving the outer race, the body is probably scrap.

I'd try this shop for better pricing.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=list&Category=481&Brand=60&type=T

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

steel515 said:
what is lifetime of freehub bearings?
Not to be too sarcastic, but wouldn't that depend on the design and quality of the bearings, the quality and frequency of maintenance, and your local weather/dust conditions? The range is huge. The longest I've had a set "last" was 65K miles. Of course they were still working fine and I just replaced the wheel (Campy). I'm now on my second Campy freehub, which has about 45K miles on it.

BTW, despite Spunout's concerns, I use light grease and ride down to 40F and have never had any pawl engagement problems. If you added a little oil to the grease, I would think that would be fine. OTOH, MAVIC recommends oil only. YMMV

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Depends on a lot of things e.g. how many miles, what kind of weather or road conditions, your weight, how frequently you perform cleaning/maint. of the hub, etc.
I just replaced the bearings in my Record rear hub last week. My best guess at accumulated mileage is 50-70,000 miles.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, curlybike, for the good link. I've got to order some UT BB bearings from enduro..

Not sure where to go to get the bearings pressed out, would a Campy-approved bike shop want to take a stab at this? I'll ask at River City and see if they''d be up for it.

curlybike said:
Those freehub bearings come out easily, measure them and buy new ones. Squirting grease into that port just mungs up the pawl cavity. Ballistol might be a great choice.
http://www.endurobearings.com/

·
Registered
579 Posts
i've had to remove bearings from Fulcrum freehubs, and that is a total pain. mainly, more than anything else, it's the retaining clip that's a ***** to remove.

i lube campy freehubs with white grease and a few drops of Tri Flow.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have a chorus freehub that I saved along with the axle and bearings from a hub that broke at the flange. Never know when it will come in handy.

I had a horrible noise coming from the freehub on my Specialized Roval wheelset. I pulled the freehub and it was dry and 2 of the three sets of pawls were bound. I flushed it out with some homebrew and then lubed it. Works fine now. When you commute on the same bike everyday and the first ten miles are on a deserted road, you can hear a drivetrain problem.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

dead flag blues said:
Thanks, curlybike, for the good link. I've got to order some UT BB bearings from enduro..

Not sure where to go to get the bearings pressed out, would a Campy-approved bike shop want to take a stab at this? I'll ask at River City and see if they''d be up for it.
If there's a retainer clip holding the bearings in place, that usually means that the bearings are either a very light press fit or a slip fit. Take the clip out (apparently not easy) and the bearings should come out with little force. When I replace Mavic hub bearings, I use a large screwdriver and a hammer, taping gently around them. A wood dowel rod would also work fine.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad you mentioned replacing the bearings. I asked my friend (pro bike mechanic, preps lots of cross and road race bikes) how often to chuck the ball bearings (not retainers) in Campy hubs. His reply was 'At least once a year'..

How often do you guys chuck ball bearings out?

Mr. Versatile said:
Depends on a lot of things e.g. how many miles, what kind of weather or road conditions, your weight, how frequently you perform cleaning/maint. of the hub, etc.
I just replaced the bearings in my Record rear hub last week. My best guess at accumulated mileage is 50-70,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.