Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Record front derailleur on my dry bike and a 2001 Daytona on my rain bike. Is there some guideline as to when to change the wear pad in the cage?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO shifting problems at this point. The bike has around 6000 miles on it (the dry bike). With the carbon fiber record cage, I want to keep an eye on it so the cage doesn't start getting hit on the chain instead of the wear pad.

I should be able to find something on Campy's site in the tech area. Should have looked there first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd be careful too with the carbon cage, don't really want to wear out the carbon. You can probably see how worn the insert is and decide based on that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wear pad?

wasfast said:
I have a 2004 Record front derailleur on my dry bike and a 2001 Daytona on my rain bike. Is there some guideline as to when to change the wear pad in the cage?
I've never heard that described in that fashion. Those little plastic bits are there to fill up space, so the same derailleur can be used with either 9 speed or 10 speed chains. For the narrower 10 speed chain, the bits stay in. For the wider 9 speed chain, you pop them out. The thinking is that the shifting would be slow and sloppy and it would be easier to drop the chain if the derailleur was too wide. Rather than make the derailleur in two different widths, they compromised by just using an adapter.

So if you run 9 speed (and I have all 3 of my race bikes set up that way) there is no "wear pad." And there's no visible signs of wear on any of the bikes, either, despite lots of miles on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts