Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike is still in the stand and i have a question about the lever position/action...

i know the current trend is stem / bar right behind levers / lever hoods are all one nice contiguous horizontal line, but i'm old school. all of my bikes are set up with the lever tips even with the bottom of the drops, which usually results in horizontal stem / hoods and a very slight downslope in the bars when viewed from the side. anyway...not sure this has anything to do with my real question...which is this:

the red levers seem very close to the bars (3t rotundo). they don't bottom out when really cranking on the brakes, but they're close. i like a fairly loose lever so i can keep my fingers on them, maybe even slightly depressed, when i'm using them alot.

also, the shift lever passes outside the bars with the brakes depressed hard, and presses awkwardly into the palm of my hand if i'm braking from the drops. feels great braking from the hoods.

is this normal?

granted, this is all stand-based experience. i haven't actually put it on the road yet...

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Moving the levers farther down the bar will move them farther away from the bends, as well, so you can get more lever travel. Rotating the hood clockwise will bring them more in line with the bar, but I think that's a non-issue once you get the position you want (farther down the bend).

So, yes, they are all related.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts