Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 Colnago that I am using a 9 speed cassette hub on the rear that has 126mm spacing. The bike needs to be painted and I also have a newer wheel with a Campy hub with 130mm spacing. When I get the frame painted I plan on also having the dropouts spread to 130mm so that I can then have use of both wheels. Can I just put on a 2mm spacer on both sides to get it to 130mm? If so then there wouldn't be as much axle to stick into the dropouts. Would I need to buy a new longer axle?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I think that you mean that your 1981 bike was built with 126mm spacing, but you're using a 130mm hub with a nine speed cassette.
130mm spacing wasn't invented until Shimano came out with 8 speed in 1987/88

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the frame is spaced at 126mm. I haven't measured the actual spacing on my old wheel but when putting it on the bike it goes on without any problem. When I put on the newer wheel I have to spread the dropouts in order to get the wheel on.

Yes it's a 9 speed cassette that's on it. I'm not actually sure when I bought the hub and it could have been before 9 speed cassettes were being made. The frame had been repainted but was sitting in my closet for a good number of years. Over the years I occasionally bought components with the intention of eventually building up the bike which I finally did in 2000.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
if the frame was spaced at 126 and you've been using a 130 hub in it, the frame could very well be spaced at 130 now

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FatTireFred said:
if the frame was spaced at 126 and you've been using a 130 hub in it, the frame could very well be spaced at 130 now
Actually you're right. I pulled off the cassette on the old wheel and used a caliper to measure it and it came out to 130mm. I also checked the newer wheel and it's 130mm as well. The old wheel has a 9 speed cassette and the newer wheel has a 10 speed cassette(it was being used on a different bike). After pulling off the 10 speed cassette I tried mounting the wheel and it went right on the bike. I'm not sure why I was having problems mounting it the first time since both cassettes pretty much have to be the same width.

Oh well at least there's actually no problem and no need to start using spacers or anything.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
BikeRider said:
Actually you're right. I pulled off the cassette on the old wheel and used a caliper to measure it and it came out to 130mm. I also checked the newer wheel and it's 130mm as well. The old wheel has a 9 speed cassette and the newer wheel has a 10 speed cassette(it was being used on a different bike). After pulling off the 10 speed cassette I tried mounting the wheel and it went right on the bike. I'm not sure why I was having problems mounting it the first time since both cassettes pretty much have to be the same width.

Oh well at least there's actually no problem and no need to start using spacers or anything.

you basically "cold set" the rear, respaced it... provided the alignment is ok, all is good. and thank gawd it is steel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.