Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just overhauled my Campy rear hub, circa 1996.
I got it done and everythhing seemed fine, but when I got it all back together the cassette was really stiff. It pulls most of the spring tension out of the derailleur, and the top of the chain is sagging down.

Wha'd I do wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Hard to say. What you're describing is likely not a cassette problem -- it's a freehub that's not freewheeling. You re-assembled something wrong, but it's hard to say what without looking. you might have left out a spacer, or jammed up a pawl, or gotten a seal put back in wrong.

I'd suggest you remove the cassette and see if the freehub works. If not, disassemble it slowly and see if you can see where the problem is.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Take it apart

Mr. Versatile said:
I just overhauled my Campy rear hub, circa 1996.
I got it done and everythhing seemed fine, but when I got it all back together the cassette was really stiff. It pulls most of the spring tension out of the derailleur, and the top of the chain is sagging down.

Wha'd I do wrong?
Like JCavilia said, you need to take it apart again. I'm thinking you might have bunged up the pawl spring(s) and gotten one jammed somewhere. You can only find out by taking the freehub body off.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll take another look at it tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts